RECIPES

Wednesday 8 March 2023

Autumn is Arriving

 

The first of March is traditionally the start of autumn, but I think we were all hoping that was wrong after experiencing the wettest “summer” for many years.

But the signs are all pointing to the arrival of autumn:

We can see a stand of poplar trees in the distance and they are definitely starting to change colour.  Even the oaks down one of our streets are beginning to turn a dusky brown.

The nights are growing cooler and we begin to think of lighting the fire in the evenings (although we try and put that off as long as possible, or else the winter feels too long).

Some of our mornings are thick with fog, which thankfully so far has been clearing away to quite nice days.

When there is no fog, the air is calm enough for the hot air balloons to be up and cruising through the skies.  I caught sight of this distant one out my window this morning.




Add to all that the urge to tidy up the garden and give the house a good clean.  The general tidy-up before winter is not as well recognised as the urge to spring-clean, but it is there nevertheless.

Not that we will be having any traditional bonfires of fallen leaves – we don’t have enough leaves, and if we did the Council would frown on us if we did start burning them!  All our green waste heads to the local composting station – one of the results of city living. 

For Mittens, life goes on as normal.




I love the balmy days that often accompany Autumn, and this year hope to be able to get outside and enjoy them.

Have a great day 😊

Margaret.

 

16 comments:

  1. So hard to wrap my head around the fact that you are approaching autumn when we haven't even had spring. Perhaps I should head your way for a red stag hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've just had a week of almost summery weather but nights have been cooler. It was very foggy here this morning, a not so subtle hint that winter is approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely sunny autumn day here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in Australia we had a shocking summer as well. We had a few really hot days but they were peppered throughout the season so it felt much cooler.
    I’m feeling the urge to clean the garden and put it to bed. Although the urge to clean has yet to hit me.
    It’s kinda missed me for a few years now lol
    Autumn is my favourite time of year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since we still have winter it is hard to believe on the other side of the world that summer is over and fall will begin! Far Side

    ReplyDelete
  6. The local composting station!! Way to go.
    I love autumn too. It means the end of those darn heatwaves. We have a couple of glorious months. I do hope you have a month or two with glorious weather. Boy do you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mittens is the cutest, just saying.
    Here it´s -1C, grey days without end. So much for Spring.
    Well, we cannot influence the weather, so, glad you left with a smile 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Relive summer through our post, I have loved seeing your blue skies and colourful flowers through our colder months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always make it a policy to resist the urge to give the house a good cleaan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, probably because Miriam has to do it all :)

      Delete
  10. As we approach spring here in the US, it is wonderful for me to be able to experience my favorite season, fall, through your eyes. May the coming season bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope autumn is drier than the summer you had, Margaret! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Autumn but I always find it lasts too short a while. We can't have bonfires either because of the poor air quality we can have. No fire pits in the back yard etc... Mittens looks quite content in her world :) GM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Autumn is one of my favourite seasons - and yes the trees are changing colour, and we too have had fog in the mornings... it's all too soon for me after this wet summer. Mittens looks a fabulous cat there
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx