RECIPES

Wednesday 9 November 2022

Slainte Mhath

 

Slainte mhath!

I recently finished reading “Glenshee: Glen of the Fairies” by Antony Mackenzie Smith, and he finished the book with the words “Slainte Mhath.”  

It is Gaelic for Good Health and used when taking a drink, similar to saying Cheers or Bottoms Up or some such other term.

Naturally, with my Gaelic ancestry, I had to look up Google and see how to pronounce it – it sounds like slarn-jar-var.




I’ve also recently discovered that it was a Scottish custom to have a small drink of whiskey or brandy before dinner, as it was believed it would contribute to a long healthy life.

Sometimes I will have a small pre-dinner cocktail or a glass of wine with dinner, but having a “wee dram” of brandy (or similar spirit) before the day’s main meal sounds like a great way to relax and unwind before eating.

I think it may be a habit I would like to begin!

The Scots also believed that drinking too much alcohol would shorten life, so how much was this ‘dram’ that they drank?  After much searching, it appears it basically meant “one mouthful” or about 30 mls.

My small liqueur glasses hold 15ml each and I am finding that a perfect amount to have after pronouncing the customary SLAINTE MHATH!

May your life be long, happy, and healthy 😊

Margaret.

 

11 comments:

  1. Well, a whiskey or such sure would lead to a funny meal here ;-)
    SLAINTE MHATH! - To your new, happy routine, I like it! To health and happiness xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not drank spirts for years, our brandy is now kept for the Christmas cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salud, cheers, bonne santé, prosit, nasdravia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My great grandfather spoke Gaelic. I’d love to learn some…hmmm…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on that title, I thought maybe a rat ran across your keyboard and pushed a bunch of random keys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the pronunciation guide...I never would have guessed all the silent/invisible yet pronounced letters!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've started a great new custom. A wee dram of what you fancy is the best way to settle the stomach before your meal

    ReplyDelete
  8. A glass of wine before, after, or with a meal is a wonderful idea. I've read that the Queen Mother used to have a glass of something every day but I can't remember what it was. Gin, perhaps? Awful stuff that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe she drank a cocktail made of one part Gin and two parts Dubonnet over ice (I've tried it and I liked it!).

      Delete
  9. I have tasted a few things, but never found anything I liked. But have seriously thought of trying a small glass of wine at night.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx