RECIPES

Tuesday 29 November 2022

Home Sweet Home


The very last day of our amazing Road Trip.

I woke on this morning feeling utterly exhausted and a little bit crabby.  I was ready to head home – but our flight was not until late afternoon.

We headed into central city and found a carpark so I could visit Victoria Park. 



I especially wanted to see the two statues here as they relate back to colonial days – currently not a very popular period of our history and I fear that at some stage activists will deface/destroy them.

The first one was a beautiful bronze of Queen Victoria.




The other statue is carved of Carrera marble and is of Captain James Cook.




We thought the New Brighton Pier café might be a nice place to have morning coffee, but when we arrived it was dull and the wind was cold and we decided against the idea.




Instead, we headed out to Lyttelton.  This is the port town associated with Christchurch, and is accessed via a tunnel through the Port Hills.

By driving through the town, heading towards Sumner, a lookout point can be accessed above the Port.  The port is divided into sections – coal, car imports, logging, containers etc. – and we watched one ship being unloaded of soy meal for stock food.

This photo shows the coal area (being imported).




The harbour entrance can be seen here, along with the edge of the logging and container areas.  On the far right are the imported cars, slowly being loaded onto car transporters and taken off to be sold.




We also drove up to the Time Ball Station but that was a disaster.  Our vehicle was much too big to turn around easily in the tiny space available, and after trespassing into someone’s driveway (so we could turn around) we left again!

Back in town, we stopped for a late morning coffee and then headed for the Airport to return our rental car.  It all checked out well, which is always a relief, and we settled down to wait a couple of hours for our plane to be ready – Air New Zealand had changed our flights, so we had longer to wait.

Eventually, at 4.30, we boarded our small plane with a sigh of relief.  We were both tired and just wanted to go home.




Our flight home was not an easy one and I commend the pilot for missing the worst of the thunderstorms that were in our path.  There was a lot of turbulence, making the woman in front of us groan a lot, and the air hostess announced that they had expected this and there were sick-bags at the back of the seat in front of us if needed!




Nearly two hours later we flew into Hamilton, and it was so good to see familiar sights laid out below us.




This was not a holiday we had been on, but a marathon road trip covering just over 2000km in seven days.

We must have been a bit crazy, but, oh, what great memories!

Thanks for coming along with us through this blog 😊

Margaret.

 




24 comments:

  1. Certainly looked like a holiday to remember ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sight of all that cold makes my environmental conscience shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make you shudder more - most of it gets used to generate electricity as our hydro-electric schemes can't keep up with all the demand now.

      Delete
  3. Interesting phot effect with the double ended propeller blade. Did you go over the hills on the way back from Lyttleton (Sign of the Takahe, Sign of the Kiwi ) - or back through the tunnel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my propeller photos came out quite strangely! We went back through the tunnel as it was quicker. I have been over the hills before, and around most of this area while staying with friends over the years. I love it there, although the winds can be rather mean sometimes :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful trip, many thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always anxious on travel days. Not because I hate traveling, it's just I want to get it done with so I can relax again.

    Looks like you had a great trip but you are right, there is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never want to go home until go-home day arrives, then all I want to do is get home again!

      Delete
  6. I have been on one turbulent flight and can imagine how this one was. More the reason to be glad to be home.

    What a great, though busy trip! I enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been on a few turbulent flights now. Probably my worst trip was landing in Wellington during high winds in my younger days. Now they are more inclined to divert the flight to a safer place to land :)

      Delete
  7. If you were crazy, it was the best of *Craziness*!!!!!!

    Good you got to see and photograph those statues. I am amazed they are still standing so well. -sigh- Bloody *Woke* people!!!!!

    I don't care for little commuter planes, 'cause they can be a bit *spooky*. But you make it, safe and sound. :-)

    Now!!! On to Christmas!!! :-)

    🎄 🎄 🎄 🎄 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Christmas is almost here again. Next week, my daughter arrives. It will be the first Christmas she has spent with us for almost fifteen years!

      Delete
  8. Enjoy all your memories from the trip and relax at home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful marathon Margaret - and thanks for the many memories it has stirred up for me. No doubt it is good to be home and in your own bed again, with Mittens snuggling up.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have enjoyed all your pictures and stories about the places you visited. I can understand that you were tired by the end of it and just wanted to get home. Yes, sorting out pictures is a big job. Will you make an album specifically of this trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to take my best photos and turn them into photo-pages (a bit like a digital collage) and print that out as one big photo. That way I can make an album with lots of pictures but it doesn't take up too much room! :)

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed it very much, seeing places and things I've never heard of. The statues are beautiful. Hope they stay that way. So many have been destroyed over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many have been destroyed here as well (sometimes they get put away for 'safety') because of their "offensive" colonial implications. It all seems so pointless and no doubt future generations will wonder why such stupidity was allowed to happen.
      I'm glad you have enjoyed our trip :)

      Delete
  12. Oh, I never feel I want to go home (not so far at least). Probably also cause from Summer we bump into Winter...

    Oh, the "activists"!!!!Nothing contructive so far!
    Reckon most are spoled kids who never worked.
    How else can they glue themselves on streets, blocking people from work?
    Gluing themselves on the runway on airport Berlin... that is nearly attempted murder...
    You are sadly right, no respect for such a statue, either. And they never have to take consequences.

    If cold... the ocean pic looks wonderful.

    You´re not supposed to use other´s driveways? Here you have no other chance, it is normal... Funny how different things are. Good to know if we might visit!

    Uh-oh. that groaning woman could be me... I hate flying per se and turbulences make me freak!
    Sad you had not more time, wow, quite a (wonderful!) trip.
    Thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of anyone gluing themselves to anything yet, but no doubt it will come.
      People do use driveways to turn around, but it isn't encouraged (one of those unspoken rules!).
      Mxx

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx