RECIPES

Thursday 24 November 2022

Off To Invercargill

 

We drove from Te Anau south to Invercargill this day, the third day of our Road Trip.  The weather was not always the nicest, meaning some of these photos are a little dark.

Our first stop was at Manapouri to see the Save Manapouri environmental campaign memorial.  This rock marks where the water level of the lake would have reached if hydro-electric plans had gone ahead and not been halted by a national outcry of protestors.




Around the corner is little Pearl Harbour, a lovely calm bay where boats can seek shelter.  Trips to Doubtful Sounds also begin here.




The Manapouri hydro-electric plans were not entirely shelved.  Instead, they were adapted so that the flow of water would be controlled and both Lakes Manapouri and Te Anau would be kept within their natural levels.

We stopped at the overlook for a weir that is used to control the flows of the Waiau and Mararoa Rivers to enable this to happen.




My companion wanted to stop and see the Clifden Suspension Bridge, built in 1940 across the Waiau River.  It was used for road traffic until being replaced by another bridge in 1978.

I was not game enough to walk out onto the bridge.  Instead, I stood at the end and read the Roll of Honour for the men of the district who lost their lives in World War I.  Beneath the plaque was a bucket of peonies and the words We Shall Remember Them, presumably placed there for Armistice Day.




Our next stop was more light-hearted.  Tuatapere is the Sausage Capital of New Zealand, so, of course, we had to stop and have a famous sausage for morning tea.

It was nice, but still just a sausage!




A little further on and we reached the southern coastline.  McCracken’s Rest is said to offer spectacular views up and down the coastline, but it was too wet and misty for us to see much more than the signpost.




Regardless of the weather, I was determined to stop at Gemstone Beach and collect some coloured pebbles to display in a special glass vase.

These are the ones I collected (still wet and shiny after having their sand washed off):




By now we were getting hungry, so stopped for lunch at the popular Orepuki Café.  I enjoyed my Seafood Chowder with two different homemade garlic breads.




The seaside town of Riverton was our last major destination for the day.  Settled by Europeans in the 1830s, it is one of the oldest towns in the country.

There is plenty here for the tourist to see and we managed to see most of them!  One memorial I found especially poignant – it was in remembrance of all those who had lost their lives to the sea around here.




Riverton Rocks is the name given to one section of the coast, where waves crash at full tide onto scattered off-shore rocks.

It was near low tide when we arrived, but we could still appreciate the ruggedness of this area, with strong winds blowing in our faces and the tang of sea air filling our nostrils.  My skin started to feel like it was being caked with salt!

Thankfully the weather was now clearing, and we could even see Stewart Island on the distant horizon.




It was early evening before we reached our motel at Invercargill.  Two long days in a row, so we were tired but happy.

It was takeaway Chinese food for dinner, nice and easy 😊

Margaret.

 

14 comments:

  1. What wonderful photos and great memories you will have of this trip Margaret!! Sounds and looks like typical Southland weather :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, typical Southland weather! However, it looks like we have come home to worse - last night we had a thunderstorm right on top of us. The whole house shook and our hair literally stood on end. Poor Mittens hid beneath the dressing table :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting post, Margaret. I visited Invercargill (and Milford Sound) in 1987 and loved the wildness and the salt spray. I wonder whether the tuatara can still be viewed. I live in Brisbane but have a daughter in Whanganui, another lovely area. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The museum that housed the tuatara was closed some time ago because earthquake risk. I believe there are plans to make a proper enclosure for them at Queens Park. I hope so - I saw them many years ago and they are fascinating to watch (they had young ones that were active).
      I'm glad you enjoyed your 1987 visit :)

      Delete
  3. You went down to Invercargill too. Wonderful. I'd love to see the Gemstone beach, and try those sausages lol Real kiwi bangers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always ecstatic when I learn of environmental campaigns that succeeded. It happens far too rarely I am sad to note. Great trip with many interesting sights, not the least of which is the gorgeous terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was the largest protest our country has ever seen. I'm so glad it succeeded as well :)

      Delete
  5. That seafood chowder looks so yummy and hearty. Love the views you captured as well. It's always nice to take a day trip. The pebbles look lovely as well.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful.... Nothing like being beside a body of water!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great tour. I love such a vacation, seeing the sights at your own pace. So beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I doubt I'd be brave enough to walk across that bridge too. I have no stomach for heights at all.
    I like all the pretty rocks you gathered at Gemstone Beach. Shining like they are they truly look like some kind of gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe some of them probably are gems but I don't know which! I just love all the colours :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful landscape pics!
    Sausages.. Ingo would be in in a sec!
    Oh, the pebbles, so beautiful. Will you male some jewlery from s0me?
    And the ocean, oh, so beautiful - thank you for sharing x
    Tired and happy is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No jewellery but I would like to find out how to keep them shiny as they go dull when they dry :(
      Maybe some varnish? I'll have to look into it :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx