RECIPES

Tuesday 1 November 2022

Annabelle

 

I was leafing through a photo album and came across this photo of an old truck we once briefly owned.

Beside this 1977 photo is the notation “Annabelle, 1946” but I never put down what kind of truck it was – can anybody hazard a guess?




We nearly always named our vehicles, and this truck got called Annabelle.  She didn’t really deserve such a sweet name as she had rather a temperamental attitude.

Starting on a cold morning was a no-no, and even in the best of times she would splutter and cough. 

Expect her to drive down our steep hill and you were asking too much – the explosive protests would be loud and long all the way down.

The backfiring exhaust used to belch out a trail of flames and black smoke that would send the sheep fleeing across their paddocks. 

Occasionally, neighbouring farmers would be seen standing with mouths open and stunned looks on their faces.  Just as well we never drove the old girl into town!




My husband was no mechanic and we couldn’t afford to have the truck repaired, so after a few months we sold her to a vintage truck enthusiast. 

I like to think she still exists somewhere, perhaps the pride and joy of some museum collection.

Who knows?

Margaret 😊

 



HEADER PHOTO for November 2022

This beautiful waterfall is named the Marakopa Falls and is on the road to Waitomo Caves near Te Kuiti.  The water cascades down 35 metres (115 feet) and could be seen from a viewing platform at the end of a short steep track through tawa and nikau forest.

Unfortunately, this lookout was permanently closed in February of this year as subsidence had made it too dangerous to use.  There are plans afoot for another platform to be built sometime in the future, probably at a slightly different location.  Until then, we have to rely on photos to see these stunning falls.


15 comments:

  1. I would love to know what kind of truck...I hope someone knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE Annabelle! I keep hoping to get a vintage truck or car someday, there's just something about them that pulls me in. Hmmm, I'm guessing 1940's Ford? She's a beauty, and I'm sure she's making someone very happy these days. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't hazard a guess at Annabelle's provenance but we had an old V8 Ford of similar vintage that I learned to drive as a small child. Dad and his brother rigged a hand throttle on the steering colomn so that kids who couldn't reach the accelerator could still drive it. We weren't meant to get out of first gear, but often slid under the steering wheel to depress the clutch and wrestle the long gear lever into 2nd, open the throttle above your head and scramble back up onto the seat. A parent would be vilified (if not jailed) for that kind of thing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing the old photos of Annabelle must bring a smile though she must have brought lots of frustration in her days with you. Take care, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beauty of a truck but I have no idea what kind it is. I am guessing she is still out there somewhere fully restored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned to drive in a 1948 vauxhall and your old girl looks to have a similar shape. I sure had some fun in that old car, they sound to have been a lot alike. Love your photo of the Marakopa Falls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely old truck and a wonderful waterfall as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that somewhere someone has most probably restored Annabelle to her original splendor. My DH and son spend hours watching just such restorations on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your story, I used to have a old car that I named Rosie Rambler. She was older than any of my friends cars, but she ran like a top and never let me down. I miss that old car, if a car can have a soul, Rosie surely did, she was family :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful old truck, and your description of her temperamental behaviour was most entertaining - I also hope she is still 'around' and fully restored.
    Love those falls - if we ever went out to the coast from Te Kuiti, that, and the natural Bridge were 'must sees' - even if Dad was impatient to get out fishing!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a point where old vehicles become antiques so perhaps it is all shined up and glittery and the pride of someone's collection somewhere. That would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reminds me of an old farm truck we had, though that was in the 70's. I hope yours has been restored

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful header!!!

    Oh yes, I'm sure she is the pride and joy of some vintage truck collector!!!!!!!!!! I hope so!!!!!

    🔥 💛 🔥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure of the provenance of your old truck, but there was man who bought up hundreds of the trucks that came back from the Second World War, he did them up and sold them to farmers, who were very pleased to get a vehicle they could afford. The name of his firm is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't bring it to mind. In the mid 70s they still had a branch in Petone, so I'd guess there were branches throughout the country. Ah ... Gillies! More than that I cannot tell you, but I seem to remember that there was a story about how he's snaffled the vehicles before anyone else got a chance to buy any, and there was some bad feeling about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. I love it.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)