RECIPES

Friday 4 November 2022

Murder Most Foul

 

Well, it wasn’t really “murder most foul” but there was a lot of blood on the floor.

Son had been introducing Spike, our sole resident rat, to Rascal, one of the new adopted rats.  It was going well until grumpy Spike bit Rascal on the foot.

Rascal is a gentle rat, but in his hurt and fright he lashed out and bit Son on his thumb.  More a puncture wound than a gash, but deep enough to bleed a lot.

It’s a long time since I was last called upon to administer First Aid to anyone (husband used to require my services quite frequently!), but I remembered what to do and soon had his thumb cleansed and bandaged up.


Rascal snoozing in his hammock


After drizzly rain most of yesterday and thick fog this morning, today has turned out quite sunny.  There is a stiff breeze blowing and the neighbour’s sun umbrella is busy flapping around.

They (the neighbours) were letting off fireworks last night (they only went on sale two days ago, in preparation for Guy Fawkes night) and both our cats were happy to be inside.  They don’t hide like some pets do, but they were very alert and nervy and skittered at each burst of sound.

I like to watch well-organised firework displays, but am very wary of individuals letting them off.  There was a big fire near Christchurch yesterday and that has been blamed on irresponsible use of fireworks.

Sometimes having fun gets taken too far.

Stay happy 😊

Margaret.

 

10 comments:

  1. We had fireworks outside last night as well. It sounded as though they were right outside my bedroom window but that house is currently empty so they must have been further away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing no one was seriously hurt! I will have to look up who Guy Fawkes is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fireworks have been let off here all week, my old cat Grace hates them, she clings on to me, Purdy watches them from the patio window, she never goes outside when they are going off, but is happy safely inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that few of us have been bitten by a rat recently - or ever. It is a status I will do my best to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the bite was too bad.

    I heard an article about fireworks yesterday on radio. The noise was one thing, the chemicals released were another. The danger of the fireworks in untrained hands of course was an issue as well. The fright is an issue for me when you don’t know about a neighbour celebrating with them.

    It is interesting to learn that Guy Fawkes night is celebrated there. It was always an occasion inn Newfoundland too with bonfires. In PEI people don’t know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too had to look up and see what Guy Fawkes Night was all about. Very interesting, I learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here we are in a world in economic crisis, fuel prices rocketing up and people outraged at increases in the cost of living but there are still fireworks going off around us too. Our council normally does a big firework display, but I hope they have the sense to can it this year and invest the money in a food bank or something. It is one thing, like the romans to provide games to entertain and divert people from rioting about the poor state of leadership, and quite another when that leadership has to respond to elections (which romans didn't).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh that sounded like a bit of a rant didn't it - sorry about that. We hope son's hand recovers quickly and that Rascal wins over the Grumpy Spike (and that Mittens is not too traumatized by said fireworks). xxx mr T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the hand recovers quickly and the rats can find harmony too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not been bit by a rat, but I have been nipped by a squirrel. A couple in fact. They thought my finger was a nut. Neither brought the blood and the original Mama Squirrel knew immediately that she had it wrong, the other would did not. I had to pull my hand away. LOL

    One of my daughers has dogs that are scare of fireworks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx