RECIPES

Tuesday 8 November 2022

Chickening Out

 

It was a lovely day for a walk and I decided to go into a totally different suburb and hunt out a walk I had heard about.  It was said that the path wound its way along the river bank and was quite pretty.

After some driving around, I finally found an access point and set off through the trees.




It was cool and shady and very, very still and quiet – almost spooky quiet, which unnerved me a little.

Then the path came around a corner and there was a dramatic drop down to the riverside (the photo doesn’t do it justice – it was STEEP!).




End of walk!  I may perhaps me a bit of a chicken, but sometimes I think it pays to listen to your gut instinct and I somehow knew that going down there would not be a good idea – apart from all the effort required to come back up again!

When walking alone, it pays to be aware of your surroundings don’t you think?

Margaret 😊

 

10 comments:

  1. It is always good to be aware of your surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree. You were alone. You could have been injured and been hurt there for a long time.

    Recently I wrote about my husband and I following a stranger to an unknown area. I wouldn’t have done that on my own. We have those instincts you referred to for a reason!

    I love that colour green along that trail, Margaret! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Margaret! I can see the drop down enough to give me chills. You were right to turn around. It is such a beautiful place but I would want to be holding on to someone's hand to walk on down. Even working here in the yard alone when my husband is gone I often think about, "be aware of your surroundings". You live in such a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more. F has had to become a little more tuned into her possible limitations (especially if she is carrying me in my ride-around-pack). That could be slippery being among the trees like that. It certainly looks steep. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were wise not to continue on that path no matter how pretty it was. The steepness alone would have been an issue but the lack of anyone else around would have made me uneasy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me thinks it is never good, to walk alone, period. Especially in a secluded area.<---*Worry-Wort-Me* speaking...

    And always listen to your gut instinct. Always...

    🍁💛🍁💛🍁💛🍁💛🍁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walking in nature is so important that I am very willing to take the risk of walking alone if I don't have a congenial companion available. However, as Margaret says, one also needs to know ones limits both physical and psychological and take them into account.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No judgements here. If you're not comfortable, don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gut instinct is always right (in my opinion) - good decision!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that looks like a wonderful place to walk, but I am afraid I would have to be like you and turn back there. There are times I absolutely hate this aging process!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx