RECIPES

Saturday 5 November 2022

Remember, Remember, The Fifth Of November

 

I had a few comments last post about Guy Fawkes, so thought I would dig a little and find out more myself.

I was surprised!  For some time now I thought it was all about the commemoration of an act of terrorism (Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and kill the king), but I was wrong.

One needs to look at the setting.  England was in turmoil and rapidly becoming Protestant and very anti-Catholic.  On the 5th November 1605, a group of Catholic radicals attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament and thus kill the Protestant King James 1 and his son, the Prince of Wales.  

This so-called Gunpowder Plot failed, and the following year an act of Parliament declared that the 5th November would become Gunpowder Treason Day, a day to give thanks that the life of the King (and probably many others) had been saved.


Myself and my brothers with the Guy we made in 1964


Bonfires became the usual way to celebrate this day as effigies of hated people were always burned on a bonfire.  Fireworks were added as they represented celebration, and seemed quite appropriate given the nature of the event.

Over time, the commemoration took on new meaning – it became a celebration of freedom from the perceived threat of tyranny and oppression from Catholicism, and then a way to mark the democratic freedoms we have today.  It is our version of American Independence Day!

I’ve discussed this with my Son and we’ve agreed that we should remember this day and what it stands for.  We won’t be having a bonfire tonight, or letting off any fireworks, but he has suggested we watch the movie “V for Vendetta.”  It sounds interesting.                   

Let’s all continue to celebrate FREEDOM in our lives!

Margaret 😊                                                                                

 

My post title is the first line in a Nursery Rhyme:

Remember, remember, the fifth of November,

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason

Why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.        

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, ‘twas his intent,

To blow up the King and the Parliament.

Three score barrels of powder below,

Poor old England to overthrow.

By God’s providence he was catch’d,

With a dark lantern and burning match.

Holler boys, holler boys, let the bells ring.

Holler boys, holler boys,

God save the King!

 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for this information. I've heard about Guy Fawkes from reading British books but never bothered to find out what the real story was. I hope you enjoyed the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing the meaning of this day. Not much heard here in the US about this so thanks for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! I read some after I read your blog yesterday:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that research Margaret - it certainly puts another 'angle' on the celebration!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo, Margaret. I'm sure you're like me and have wonderful memories of Guy Fawkes nights of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never actually read the full poem. Thanks for posting. I have very fond memories of our huge bonfires, the guys we made letting of crackers and Katherine wheels. Our neighbours across the valley also had bonfires. They were quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly the fireworks here are more than just one day, they can start a couple weeks before and be loud on 31st October, and then go one way past 5th. In my town where I grew up they have a carnival each year, held on the 1st Saturday in November, again it started around the theme of the gunpowder plot. https://www.bridgwatercarnival.org.uk/ have a look it's a huge celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrorism in the name of religion is the most enduring feature of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too did a little reading up on the day after your post yesterday. Very interesting. Love the picture above, from the looks on your faces, I bet your parents had their hands full!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was interesting to read about celebrating of the Guy Fawkes day. I have heard the name, but the celebration and history is unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you gave us more details...I did not know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx