RECIPES

Tuesday 8 March 2022

William Shakespeare

 

It has been a bit like Christmas around here the last couple of days. 

Son has started going through some of the boxes he had stored away for several years and we are finding all sorts of things. 

There is even a lot of things that I thought I had thrown away – it turns out, he has them!

As well as all those little bits and pieces that seem to find their way into storage boxes, there are paintings, books, and a fair number of children’s toys.

One of our most intriguing discoveries was this old book, “Sir John Gilbert’s Shakespeare.”  It was published in 1882 and belonged to my great grandfather.




The book, which features over 800 line drawings, is intact but badly in need of some restoration work.




Son intends to have it repaired as he adores old books like this and loves the provenance that goes with them.




All of Shakespeare’s plays are included in the book, and I find it difficult to believe that fifty odd years ago I actually read through all of them.

Not something I would do today!

Have a happy day 😊

Margaret.

 

11 comments:

  1. I applaud your son's dedication to old books and their provenance, especially a family treasure such as this. I hope he gets it restored by a skilled conservation house. Be sure to show us the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding that old book was very fortunate. Your son will no doubt treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great find, especially since you thought it had been lost. It is worth restoring for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous find, worthy of being treasured Margaret. I too have an older compilation of all of Shakespeare's works, but not as old as yours. I am looking forward to unpacking once the extensions are finished and I can move in and fully unpack.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that happens soon Maxine, and what fun you will have "discovering" all your old bits and pieces again :)

      Delete
  5. What a treasure to find again. The writing looks teeny to read! hope you can find a book binder to restore it

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful if you son can get the book restored, I having books to read, I can't get on with reading from an iPad, the stuff we keep is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a find! I would love to see some of the line drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Family Treasure!!! Wonderful that your son is dedicated to such.

    Wow, I never tried to read Shakespeare. Good for you.

    Gentle hugs,
    πŸŒΈπŸ‡πŸŒΈπŸ‡πŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love old books . I have a few but not as old as yours. It will be wonderful if he can get it restored

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx