RECIPES

Friday 11 March 2022

A Near Accident

 

Youngest Son needed my car yesterday, so I went along with him for the drive.  It was nice to be a passenger for a change as you get to see so much more when you don’t have to concentrate on the road.

Our drive took us through Karangahake Gorge near Waihi, a very busy road that is narrow and has multiple blind corners (it is very pretty through here as well).

This photo is an old one, but it gives some idea of what the road is like through the Gorge.  The Ohinemuri River flows along beside the left of the road.




We were approaching a corner when a truck with a shipping container onboard came around the opposite direction. 

All I saw were the tyres well over the white centre line on our side, coming over further and further and straight in front of us.  I kept thinking, Why doesn’t he move over?, Why is he still coming at us?

Youngest Son said afterwards that to him it felt like everything suddenly went into slow motion.  All he could see was a gap between the truck and the drop-off into the river, and the gap was growing smaller all the time.

He said he focused on the gap and actually accelerated to get through it while it was still there. 

I’m positive we had angels watching over us and helping us avoid a serious accident.  It was that close.

Margaret 😊

 

16 comments:

  1. So glad it was a NEAR accident!!!!

    And glad for son's reflexes.

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you must have had divine protection. How scared you both must have been!!! WHEW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could picture what you described, Margaret. Your son is a good driver. We had a recent close call as well when a car exited and came across the road into our lane. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are both o.k. Quite scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Gosh! That would've been so scary! So clever of your son to hold his nerve and get through that gap! Our roads are so narrow and unforgiving, aren't they. I've only been over that dreadful road to Gisborne a couple of times, but it's seared into my memory. The Karangahape Gorge road is another just like it. Glad you're Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am glad your son managed to fit through while he could. It is scary to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are pleased you are her (there) to tell us about it, and to esure Mittens' home comforts arrangements continue without disruption. Hi Mittens - give your humans some extra purrings, their hearts need it. xxx MrT

    ReplyDelete
  8. BOY. This is why I refused three jobs where I would have to drive to. To do work from a PC, too (Ingo has to drive, as he works on machines).
    I hate driving - glad you came out fine!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the angels!! That road (indirectly) claimed the life of a dear friend... he never recovered from the trauma of an accident there... I know what you mean about enjoying being driven :)
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. The worst thing of all is to be a birder and also the driver in situations like this, because your eyes are automatically scanning for birds. My daughter is convinced that I will never die a natural death but will drive off a cliff following a hawk! Actually the way that Putin is messing with nuclear triggers he might take of all of us a little sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are okay! Scary for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a scary experience! I am so glad it went well, thanks to the angels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wheew, I know that narrow but scenic road. I bet you needed a cup of tea and maybe a brandy after that!
    Definitely your guardian angel is looking after you

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx