RECIPES

Wednesday 16 March 2022

Petrol Politics

 

Our Prime Minister is a true politician.  

After the public outcry this last week over her statement that New Zealand is not facing a Cost of Living crisis, she has now announced that the government will be removing 25 cents of tax per litre from the cost of petrol to make things easier for people.  For three months, anyway.

Nothing was said about the rising cost of housing, electricity and food, as our inflation rate skyrockets.

The majority of our petrol cost is tax, with Goods and Service Tax being payable on the total amount (a long standing issue – paying tax on a tax), and the price had reached over $3.00 a litre (roughly a quarter of a gallon).

I was happy yesterday to see petrol companies had taken it on board as well, not only reducing the tax cost but also their own profit margin.  Using my 6 cent/litre grocery voucher brought the cost down to $2.60 for me when I fuelled up yesterday.

It was still an expensive exercise, but cheaper than it would have been the day before.




Our supermarket is still experiencing delivery delays and each week it seems a different set of shelves lies almost empty.  Covid isolation rules are slowly being relaxed and the general feeling seems to be that covid is reaching its peak, so hopefully things will soon return to normal again.




The sun is shining this morning and we are expecting another hot day (up to the late 20s again).  I will do all my housework stuff this morning, and am heading off to see a family member this afternoon to do some family tree research.  Should be fun.

Margaret 😊


13 comments:

  1. Whatever minor inconveniences we are facing, and whatever we have to pay for gas, we don't have bombs raining down on our heads, nor are we forced to leave our country, everything we owned and all the people we knew, so we have NOTHING to complain about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our gas is about a dollar a litre cheaper than yours. There is tax on tax here too when it come to petrol. Good luck with the genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a good day researching family history with your family member. I'm hopeless when it comes to keeping straight second and third cousins etc.. and leave it all to my youngest sister who actually enjoys doing it.
    I thought gas prices were high here but they're not as bad as yours!! Unfortunately our provincial gov. refuses to lower the taxes. Middle son was horrified when he filled his truck up to the tune of $170.00.

    ReplyDelete
  4. World Wide Inflation... *Thank You Putin* &(*#$%^&(^$#%^**(%^%%^&

    Of course, our Gas Hikes did not start with Putin. As soon as our *Uncle Joe* took office, he began bowing to the crazy *New Green Deal* loons, and cut off our pipe line and make so many onerous rules, it is hard for gas companies to supply us gas.

    The *New Green Deal* people are loons, because there is no way a country can fully go *green,* before having the means to do so. They want to cut off all petroleum products BEFORE having enough 'green energy' to run our country.

    Anyone with 1/2 a brain, knows... Life doesn't work that way! Before you cut off one supply, you must have a fully functioning new supply, in place. Duhhhhhhhh....

    So, our Inflation across the board, was raging, even before Putin the mad man, began his reign of terror.

    Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    🌷🌺🌷Gentle hugs🌷🌺🌷

    ReplyDelete
  5. Times have changed, for sure. I have lived through a few recessions in my long life, but so far I still feel that the worst was the 2008 one. Hopefully we don't revisit that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least reducing the fuel tax will help people getting to and from work and those taking children to and from school. I do wish the overall cost of living could go down though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I go with River. Ingo has to drive to work, that makes nearly 80km each working day.
    It is unfair, kinda, towards people like me who can work from home.
    David sure has a point, too.
    Well, and you as well, enjoy the warm day and family with research! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a good afternoon... I am back and forth to Rotorua at the moment helping a friend get to medical appointments as she currently can't drive, so I am glad of the reprieve, albeit temporary.
    If you have a Gold Card, you can join Kiwi Fuel Cards and get an even bigger discount..https://www.kiwifuelcards.co.nz/
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the same here in UK, you are taxed on the money you earn and then taxed on what you spend, enjoy your afternoon visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We pay over $4 per gallon so not as expensive as there. But everything is going upmand up...and I dont know how farmers are going to deal with all the extra costs.

    I hope you enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What Poppypatchwork didn't mention is that diesel fuel here is £2 on some places ie about $4NZ. In many places in rural UK oil is also used for heating and the price of that has, I'm told, doubled recently. There is little tax on it compared with road fuel. As David said in the first comment though, we don't have bombs raining down on us yet.

    I love your new header photo by the way. You always have cracking shots up there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're watching the price of gas creep up in our small town, too...right now $4.09/gallon, but so much higher in big cities. My heart about stopped when I quickly worked out the math conversion liters to gallons...truly, $12/ gallon?! Oh my...

    Yes, some shelves are looking a bit empty here as well...I can always tell by what's missing (canned goods, pasta, bread, milk) that families are beginning to stock up and feeling a anxious about what's happening in the world. I'm with them...adding a few things to food storage as well. Still, watching the news just adds to my "brain noise" as they say...so much to worry about. Hope the family history visit went well...while I haven't linked to anyone famous, it's always fun to try and see how far back I can get. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gas is going up in price here too...and groceries:(

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx