RECIPES

Saturday 26 March 2022

Liver and Bacon Hotpot

 

It seems that I may have stumbled upon a way to make liver delicious!  I always used to fry up the floured slices and serve them with sauteed onion rings.  Not anymore.

Quite by accident, I came upon a reference to someone eating a Liver and Bacon Hotpot.  It piqued my curiosity so I went searching and discovered several different recipes.

I have always “adjusted” recipes to how they suit me, and this is what I came up with:




LIVER AND BACON HOTPOT FOR TWO

Ingredients

350g potatoes

2-3 Tbsp butter

200g lamb’s liver

100g bacon (about 3 rashers streaky bacon)

100g swede (about ½ small swede)

100g carrot (about one average carrot)

1 Tbsp white flour

1 cup beef stock (or vegetable stock)

1½ tsp Dijon mustard (or use whole-grain mustard)

Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Peel and cut potatoes into 5mm thick slices, rinse in cold water and place into saucepan.  Pour over boiling water, bring back to the boil, and cook for 4-5 minutes until just tender.  Drain carefully, so they don’t break up, and set aside.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Peel and finely dice onion, carrot and swede and set aside in a small bowl.

Chop bacon into dice and add to the vegetables.

Thinly slice the liver and add the unwashed slices to 1 Tbsp melted butter in a frying pan.  Lightly brown each slice, about 1 minute on each side.  Place into a casserole dish.

Tip the bacon and vegetables into the remaining butter in the frying pan, and cook over a moderate heat until bacon and onion are cooked, about 10 minutes.  Stir often and add more butter if needed.

Sprinkle flour over the vegetables, stir, then stir in the stock.  Add a teaspoon of mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Bring to the boil, stirring, then pour over the liver in the casserole dish.

Arrange potato slices on top, overlapping them neatly so they cover all of the meat.

Melt a tablespoon of butter and stir in ½ tsp Dijon mustard.  Brush gently over the potato slices.

Bake, uncovered, at 180 C until potato is browned and tender (about 45 minutes).

 

These measurements and times are only approximate.  The recipe can easily be doubled, and oil can be used instead of butter if wished.  It took me about 40 minutes to prepare the dish before cooking, and I served it with mashed potato and green peas.

This is one recipe I will definitely be making again 😊

Margaret.

 

17 comments:

  1. The only way we ever have Liver, Bacon and Onions is to fry them.

    Actually bacon 'fries' in the oven, deliciously. Crinkle foil wrap and place bacon on it. When it cooks, the fat falls into the foil crevices. Perfect and delicious.

    The onions are sauteed, and then the Liver is.

    We find it delicious, but not our grown kids. LOL

    🐴🐎💛🐴🐎

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this...I'm the only one in the family who enjoys liver but with bacon, what's not to like?! But I have to ask, what's a swede? Just a difference from across the miles! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, yes, our different languages!
      I believe you probably know them as rutabagas :)

      Delete
  3. I don't like liver but cook it with onions for my husband. I'll suggest this recipe and see what he thinks.
    The best way to eat it is spit roast on a roll with other meat at Easter ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - what a great recipe Margaret - I think I may make it, sans the swede, and have it for two nights! I actually love liver, so this really appeals
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I was 14 - a school mate made liver. The smell was so bad I have to gag ever since when I get the slightest odor coming.
    Poor Ingo, he likes liver but is not allowed to cook it in the house.
    That girl ruined it for good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always flour our liver and fry it to seal the outside and then pop it into our slow cooker, always with onions and bacon. it's away's tender and lovely, we use our slow cooker more often these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We eat very little meat these days, but I think that even in the past, the mere mention of organ meat would have caused Miriam to shudder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We eat liver occasionally. It is not often available in the supermarkets here. This looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting...I know my mom always said people overcooked liver. She cut hers into chunks and floured it and threw it in the pan with onions and fried quickly. It was so good but hers was the only liver I ever liked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Because we killed our own sheep for meat at home (and my paternal grandmother was the daughter of a colonial butcher -use everything except the "squeal") you would have thought my Dad was also of the "eat everything" school of wasting no part. However he refused to eat offal, and rarely let Mum cook liver for us because of the hydatids risk. If Mum ever did get to cook some she did it like Poppypatchwork (lots of cooking). I quite like sheep liver but have never seen it in butcher shops round where I live now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never actually tried liver but I keep meaning to, for some reason I can't see your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder what a swede is? I don't mind liver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Margret- My Mom use to make 'Lambs Fry'- Fried Liver usually served up with gravy and fried onions and boiled potatoes. I also remember having the Liver just fried and served on toast with plenty of butter. My Mum was a great cook. Best Wishes. KEV. (Sydney- Australia).

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx