RECIPES

Thursday 18 January 2024

Watermelon

 

A lovely way to start the morning is to have a serve of fresh seasonal fruit.

I don’t always get to do this – and sometimes I incorporate the fruit into my cereal – but this morning I enjoyed a delicious bowl of chilled watermelon before my muesli.

The mint garnish was added to make the plate look more appetising, and the green certainly helped the red to look a little brighter.

Chopsticks were the utensils of choice.  I am inclined to eat my food a little too fast, and using chopsticks slowed me down – by quite a lot actually, as I’m not very good using chopsticks!




After cutting the watermelon into cubes I proceeded to use a paring knife to pick out all the pips.

Eating outside and spitting pips out onto the lawn while juice dribbles down your chin can be fun.  I have been known to do this, but not for breakfast.

Breakfast should be a meal, not a messy adventure.  (Funny how we make these rules for ourselves).

I should also mention that I have this thing against pips in watermelon and grapes, but strangely don’t mind them when eating passionfruit (although I can’t crunch them).  My husband used to think I was odd!

Always appreciate the food you eat 😊

Margaret.

 

14 comments:

  1. Eating watermelon can be fun. Can’t get them around here these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the sprig of mint looks lovely there. Do you grow your own mint/herbs? I'd love to have you do a post on them one day.
    I would probably starve if I had to use only chopsticks LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes watermelon perfect for Summer. I don't know what it's been like there but here it's been so humid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never thought about using chopsticks to eat watermelon. Messy adventure has always been my approach to the stuff. Btw its a good addition to gazpacho soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks a fabulous breakfast, Margaret - and although I have used chopsticks since I was flatting many moons ago, I think I would find eating watermelon with them a challenge also.
    Unfortunately, although I love watermelon, it does not like me, and repeats for hours...
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watermelon is the perfect fruit on a hot summers day. Pips are a nuisance. I dig out the easier ones and spit out the rest. Can't stand grapes with pips. I just don't eat them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cold frosty mornings here, so porridge everyday. Close your eyes and watermelon is summer on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard to beat fresh watermelon in peak season. We are in the off season here, so we will not be buying any watermelon anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool watermelon on a warm day sounds wonderful - I’ve never tried using chopsticks, I don’t think I’d be very good. I think I’d just end up poking each piece of watermelon to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great tip for slowing down how fast one eats. I'm going to try that, I'm hopeless with chopsticks so it should take me longer to have a meal which would be a good thing. I think it would increase my appreciation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The worst seeds of all are those in pomegranates. The fruit is very nutritious but difficult to eat - at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your watermelon looks yummy! I have never tried to eat with chopsticks:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)