RECIPES

Thursday 11 January 2024

In The Cool Of The Evening

 

How pleasant it is to sit outside in the evening after a hot sultry day.  Not that we get as hot or as sultry as some places around the world, but it is enough heat and humidity to sap all the energy out of me.

I am rising early in the mornings to get done what must be done, and then the rest of the day is spent seeking the coolest spot in the house and finding something non-energetic to do.

As the temperature cools down again in the evening, I love being able to sit outside on the deck with a tall glass of chilled water and watch the night close in. 

Our solar fairy lights never all come on at once (we have four separate strands), so I sit and watch them too as they flicker on.




Most of the birds have settled down for the night, but there is always the odd one twitting and flitting around. 

A kind of hush seems to fall across the human world, with no lawnmowers going, no happy children playing next door, no noisy traffic zooming up and down our road – I guess they are all having dinner or watching television.

Of course, the mosquitos also enjoy the evening!  I have two citronella candles that I light and sit on the deck beside me, and they seem to work at keeping most of them away (for some reason, mozzies think my blood is delicious).

Do you have a favourite way of ending a hot summer’s day?

Margaret 😊

 

14 comments:

  1. Hard to imagine that in 5 or so months, we will be spending time out on the verandah, which becomes a second living room, enjoying the sights and sounds of summer. Right now it is just PELTING the snow down...whiteout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking good. Same here with doing jobs early although I don't usually get around to sitting outside in the evening. Sounds lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely in your backyard, Margaret. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That´s a nice place to sit and wait for the lights! -9C here. Would love to join you!
    Good idea with the candles, will look at BigW soon for that :-)

    Yes, I do. Soon we´ll sit in front of our Cabin in Madely/Perth. It´s like a mini-porch. We´ll have an Emu (beer) and will enjoy the heat!
    Maybe a magpie will visit, too. I can´t wait to escape the darn cold here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to finish the day - I usually end up watering the garden, then coming into the airconditioned house before settling in front of the computer for most of the evening. Tonight I ended up in a water fight with my Granddaughter... a lovely cooling activity after a day of 29.8 0C!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful memory for your granddaughter to carry into her life - the Best Fun grandma ever! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi ... it has been 33deg C here today - a bit hot- the evenings are cooler with a pleasant breeze. I like sitting in my shed with the doors and window fully open to catch the breeze and sip on Coca Cola or Cappacino. Best Wishes. KEV,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could survive that heat without air conditioning LOL

      Delete
  7. We have the sunshine without the heat here, not complaining as it's dry and staying dry for a few more days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You described that evening hush so well. It's a wonderful time as the daylight slowly fades.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to sit on the porch at any time but especially at dusk . It will be a month or more before the porch will be comfortable though ( temperature-wise). Your flowers are looking lovely. I like how they are raised; it must be much easier on the back tending to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raised garden pots also mean I don't have to try and get up off the ground again! That activity has become a bit of a Mission Impossible now :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)