RECIPES

Sunday 21 January 2024

Half Cup Puddings

 

I love food!  Eating delicious meals is something I really enjoy.  The trouble is, as I grow older, I’m finding I need to adjust more and more how and what I eat. 

As I mentioned in my last post, I am sometimes using chopsticks to help me eat a bit slower.  I’m also trying to watch the portion sizes that I serve myself. 

The recommended size of one serve of pudding/dessert is half a cup, which doesn’t seem very much but is actually quite adequate.

Dinner just doesn’t seem complete without something sweet to finish with, and I’m afraid fresh fruit doesn’t usually do it for me (even though I enjoy it for breakfast and lunch).

Feeling guilty about what you eat is a terrible way to live, so I am not going to deny myself the pleasure of eating pudding.  I just want to control how much I eat.

And so it was that when I went op/thrift shopping last week, I was delighted to find these two wine glasses that hold half a cup each. 

Don’t you just love the neon blue colour of this blueberry jelly? Although I shudder a little to think what colour it will make my insides!

I only make up half a packet at a time, so I can finish it within two days.  I will have one tonight and the other tomorrow night, and eat them (slowly!) with a small teaspoon.




The other item I was delighted to find was this decorative china plate.  It is one of a 1996 Bradford Exchange issue by artist Lena Liu, and I just loved the whole pretty picture it made.




We continue to have hot weather here, often quite sultry.  Thankfully it is a little cooler in the mornings so I can get things done around the house.

The pets struggle a bit.  Son gives the rats cold ice cubes to gnaw on and they spend a lot of their time sitting on stones and staring out the cage towards any air movement (we often have a fan directed at them).

The cats find the coolest spot they can, usually the concrete beneath the carport in the shade.  They sprawl out with their bellies on the ground, and their fur seems to all be standing up on end (the worst of being a long-haired cat).  We brush them both regularly but they are still shedding hair.

This is Mittens enjoying the deck before the sun began to bake it.




I hope your day is a good one šŸ˜Š

Margaret.

 

16 comments:

  1. Love that plate. Not so sure about blue jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Op Shop finds Margaret - and a great, and rather pretty, way to 'ration' what you eat... The plate is beautiful.
    Yes the heat is certainly oppressive - we hit 31.5 degrees today - so glad we have air con... my boy tinka sleeps on my bed, which is in quite a cool room, and also gets the benefit of the air con, but not directly on him.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a heat pump, so no air con here (only fans). But we love the fire in winter, so it is sort of a trade-off :)

      Delete
  3. Im certainly not going to judge you at all, I can understand why you like jelly especially over Summer, it's been so hot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, via Susan's blog (KamoLady)
    Yes, half a cup never sounds enough...even though it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We quite like something sweet after tea as well, usually an ice cream about 8 or just after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I wonder if I can cheat and get a comment to you via Margaret, I'm not able to leave a comment you your blog. Just wanted to say how good it is to see you back in blogland.

      Delete
  6. Bravo. Eat what you desire. Small portions often satisfy. Its enough to finish off a good meal. And isnt it strange but eating or drinking out of pleasurable 'containers' always makes it delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Husband has to have something sweet each day. I make muffins and one satisfies him. Good plan with the pudding.

    The flowers on the plate look three dimensional. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It´s so cold here, I look SO forward to go to Perth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe I have the same wine glasses as the ones you have. The decorative plate is so pretty!!
    You're fortunate that jelly satisfies your sweet tooth...mine demands chocolate. Still, it doesn't take much to satisfy. Feeling guilty about what we eat is definitely a poor way to live.
    Stay cool if you can šŸ’™šŸ’›šŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the blue is so pretty- it made me laugh when you wondered about its reaction once inside ! I agree - so love food but as I get older and the metabolism slows it is a real struggle to battle weight gain. Keep as cool as possible - oh and what a lot of people here do is freeze water in plastic bottles and then put them alongside their pets - might help cool them down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try that idea for myself - in the bedroom at night when it is too hot to sleep well :)

      Delete
  11. Those glasses are a brilliant idea for making half a cup of dessert look like a special treat. Fortunately I'm not a great sweets fan (sugar makes my tongue feel strange) but Mr B does love his sugary treats. Poor Mittens - Mr T could have sympathized given his time in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great tip for limiting my food intake, Margaret. Pretty plates/glasses are a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx