RECIPES

Wednesday 24 January 2024

Our Garden In January

 

The warm humid weather may not have been the best for some of us humans, but the plants have been loving it.  The lawns have been growing well, although they are beginning to dry off now, and the weeds have been having a field day.

The garden often shows off a few bright spots and I thought I might display some of them here.

This nasturtium has done well this year in my tub garden.  It is a non-trailing dwarf named Empress of India.




Most of the grasses have seeded this year.  These are all planted in pots, and they are growing well under son’s tender loving care.




The large potted cyclamen has gone into hibernation for the summer, but a couple of these little ones are still flowering.




The rhubarb is about ready for us to make another small harvest.  I like seeing the lobelia flowering beneath them.




This salmon-coloured geranium has flowered and flowered.




The marigolds have also flowered well.  We often let the seeds set on them as the pet rats find them a tasty treat.




This day lily has been living up to its name, and most days gives us a bright splash of colour.




I couldn’t remember the name of these pretty flowers, but I think they were asters.




Dwarf impatiens brighten up this corner, but, as you can see, the weeds are growing as well as the plants!




Most days I enjoy wandering around looking at the garden (I’m not able to do much work in it now). 

There is always something new to be seen, and a garden can truly be said to be a place of joyous experiences (and, perhaps, sore backs!).

May gardens always bring you pleasure 😊

Margaret.

 

20 comments:

  1. Your garden has so much colour. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely colours and shapes in your garden.
    It give me hope that spring and summer will arrive here eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your title gave me a chuckle, as our garden in January is buried in snow! Love to see your lovely growing and blooming plants. Starting to get serious about getting a seed order ready... the days are noticeably longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a spectacular garden - I have to say I do love a grass garden and yours is fabulous. Great looking rhubarb too - up high like that creates a great feature and some nice shade for the felines perhaps. The daylilies are almost neon and you have some really unusual colours in some of your other plants as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is so pretty. Love that rhubarb! The jam is so tasty. Do you make any cakes with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my aunts used to make delicious rhubarb and ginger jam, but I usually just stew it up and have it for breakfast with some cereal.

      Delete
  6. your gardens and flowers are absolutely beautiful – a colorful pick me up on a day where the temperature has risen 40° here - it’s raining turning winter into a muddy, slushy mess. I need to be somewhere where winter is truly winter! Thanks again for sharing your flowers – they really do lift the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden has some wonderful colour. Sorry you are no longer able to work in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tub planter as well as the smaller pots are all doing so well and looking colourful. I almost bought a pink Cyclamen yesterday when I was at the plant shop. The only thing keeping me back was knowing there was no windowsill space left for another plant :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your colourful garden is lovely, Margaret. I have a small cyclamen in a pot that is still flowering, too. Isn't that quite late for them? I was beginning to think that mine was special. Maybe it is and so is yours.
    Just love the Dwarf impatien display, so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How absolutely lovely! we are knee deep in snow and freezing rain.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colours in your garden. I've only just planted different coloured roses that I'm still waiting for but something that is doing well for me is Dahlias - they are all flowering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden makes me smile . . . This is the time of year that I start dreaming of spring and warm weather. Thank you for sharing some of your sunshine with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous garden, Margaret. Your flowers are so vibrant, and that rhubarb looks so very healthy.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, just the thought of humidity makes my skin crawl. My body was not mad for humidity, which it why we chose a drier climate to live in. It does look like it's great for your garden though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your beautiful blooms! Yes those are Asters!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to see all the flowers! Here it is raining on the snow, freezing at night, so it is icy and slippery to drive and to walk. I really look forward to spring and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How very beautiful your flowers are. I have enjoyed looking at all your pictures so much. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Soooo beautiful! Tuesday, if all goes well, I´ll have that, too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)