RECIPES

Saturday 31 December 2022

The Cost of Being Green

 

Here we are, on the last day of 2022, and fresh eggs have become a commodity that is increasingly difficult to find.  Supermarket shelves that were once overflowing with chicken eggs are now, more often than not, standing empty with not an egg in sight.

There are different stories floating around about why this is happening, but I read an article this morning that appeared to explain why.




From the start of 2023, retailers can no longer sell eggs that have been produced by battery-caged hens.  In 2012, legislation was passed to ban them and producers were given ten years to stop used battery cages. 

Today only 10% of our eggs are produced this way (compared with 86% in 2012), with most producers switching their practices to colony-cages, which allow the hen more room for roosting, scratching, nesting etc.  A few farmers took a more expensive route and switched to free-range or barn-produced eggs (just getting Resource Consent permission to do this can cost a lot).




There are two things that appear to have caused the current shortage.  One is the increasing cost of stock food (a lot of which used to be imported from Ukraine), and the other is a decision made by our two major supermarket chains.

In 2017 the Labour Party and Green Party both announced they were going to ban colony-cage eggs.  That ban was never put into place, but both the Foodstuffs and Countdown chains announced they would stop selling colony eggs by 2027 and 2025 respectively.

Egg producers have my sympathy – they must feel like the mat has been pulled out from under their feet.




In the last 18 months our national chicken numbers have decreased by 800,000 – that is a drop of 20% - as producers reduce the number of chickens they can farm or completely pull out of the industry.




I can see we will have to learn to live without too many eggs in our lives.  Importation is not an option as the risk is too great of introducing poultry diseases that are currently not found here.

Who would have thought that such a staple food item was going to become a luxury?

Margaret 😊

 

The photos are all of chickens (hens, chooks, whatever you want to call them) that have passed through my life at various times.

 

17 comments:

  1. All those beautiful hens were once yours? I'd love to have a few hens but with the threat of Avian Flu all backyard chickens have been outlawed. Just for comparison, what do you have to pay for a dozen large eggs? Here in B.C. we pay from $3.50 to $3.75 unless there's a sale. Which happens less and less frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On average the price is around the $6 mark (it can vary widely - when I looked just now, from $5 up to $7.50) for a dozen large eggs (that equates to around just over $5 in Canadian dollars).

      Delete
  2. The 'empty shelves' thing does seem to be a localised problem - the shelves in New World in Wellington have plenty, both Free range and non. I haven't bought a non FR egg, or chicken for probably 15 years and have never had a supply issue. Likewise Free range bacon and pork. If it doesn't state it's non-caged I either ask, or just don't buy it. I'd rather eat it less frequently than eat crated meat. I also avoid buying imported fruit and vegetables if I can (eg Chinese garlic - it's cheap, but...) Yes, they're often costly choices, but I am willing to accept that cost. You will remember Alison Holst - it was she who opened my eyes to the difference between free range chicken and Tegal (as it was back then in the 80s) by getting me to cook one of each, each in a roasting bag, side by side, and view the results. I couldn't believe how much water was in a factory raised chook - nearly 2 cups!! The big, fat, juicy chicken was in fact pumped up with water ... which I had paid for by weight! So, I've been supporting NZ farmers ever since.

    Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my pet objections to supermarket meat is all the water that gets pumped into it. Beef roasts and bacon seem to be particularly bad.
      Have you ever tried smelling Chinese garlic? It has next to no scent which makes me believe it cannot possibly contain all the nutrients that garlic should have.
      Hope you have a great new year as well :)

      Delete
  3. There were no eggs for sale at Pak n Save in Wanganui. We have six chickens who are not laying at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had periodic egg shortages here as well. I've heard various reasons why; new regulations, avian flu. We've paid as much as $6.99 for a dozen in the last month here in South Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a similar supply issue here and they used the same excuses.
    Then eggs became more plentiful and nothing was ever said again.
    I think there are many factors and the whole blaming it on the green thing is hogwash.
    Maybe Is should become the norm that families have their own flocks. Just like they used too.
    I know I always have more eggs than I need and I share them around with those that don’t or can’t have their own chickens

    ReplyDelete
  6. The supply issues are frustrating to say the least, and getting more and more egg-spensive to eat eggs these days - I don't eat that many now, but my family rely on them for breakfasts...
    Blessings for 2023
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't shopped for eggs for a couple of weeks but read the same article this morning. I do miss having my own hens. Like Virginia I only buy Free Range or Free Farmed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Over here there are some shortages due to Bird Flu which once was a seasonal disease thought to be brought here by migrating wildfowl . Now the disease seems to be all year round and in many places hens have to be kept inside - which does away with Free Range. Lots of flocks have been culled too.
    All so sad. We'll be back to wartime dried eggs at this rate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here you still can buy any eggs. I try to get "good" ones. The shelves are full.
    We have also lots of "vegan" egg-producs (for an hilarious high price, but some obviously pay that).
    Best are those from the market. They only do this as a hobby at one stand and I suppose (!) the chicken roam free. Yet! At my Brother´s place there is a farmer where I can see the chicken and the eggs are really very good.
    It makes a difference for both sides, chicken and human.
    You had a lot of them. Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eggs are in short supply here in UK as well, often the shelves are empty where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing to me the issues that occur across the miles...no shortages here, except when the weather is taking a nasty turn and bread/milk/eggs are no longer on the shelves when people panic buy. While I agree that cage free/free range is the most humane way to be, I'm surprised to hear of the shortages overall. Also so surprised to hear that in places backyard chickens are not allowed, I can't imagine that, when it's so easy to have a few hens not just here in the rural areas, but in town as well. If I'm short on eggs (mine girls are older) there are signs posted in many yards where I can just stop in and purchase some - prices are about $3.00-$3.50 for chicken, $4.00-$4.50 for duck. Would send some your way if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hard to believe that NZ has a shortage of eggs. I hope they work it out quickly. You'll be making austerity cakes using spoons of vinegar instead. I remember making it years ago at the beginning of Greece's crisis. Gave me indigestion. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Add avian flu to the mix and shop shelves are now regulatly devoid of eggs here in UK this winter. We will all be raising allotment chooks again if this carries on. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  14. We buy our eggs direct from a farm and have not had any price rises or shortages. We get a tray of 30 eggs all of which are seconds and cannot be sold to the supermarket as they are dirty, misshapen or deformed in some way. We pay £5 (UK) for a tray. There are shortages here in the UK I believe I know that avian flu is a factor, my understanding is that the increase in the flu in wild birds is due to battery farms where disease is rampant, it is has now got in to the wild bird populations. I am glad to hear that NZ is banning battery farms I wish they would do that here too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)