RECIPES

Friday 23 December 2022

High Tea For Two

 

As I stated in my last post, daughter and I have just spent a few days staying at Chateau Tongariro in central North Island.

They, like many other tourist operations at present, were very short of staff and unfortunately it showed a little in the food we were offered.  There was nothing wrong with it, but it didn’t really live up to our expectations of what we thought we should receive for the price we were paying.

We were still able to book in to have High Tea (fancy afternoon tea) one afternoon.  We had one table and another couple had another table, and together we enjoyed the views through this large picture window.




The event was slightly disappointing (once again, our expectations!).  There was nothing major wrong, just little things like being given a dinner fork instead of a cake fork and the waitress not being able to inform us what we had to eat (some of which was listed on the menu, but there were obvious substitutions as well).

However, it was to be the highlight of our visit and we had great fun pretending to be Ladies of Leisure.




I ordered Dilmah Earl Grey tea and daughter had Dilmah English Breakfast tea.  Both were leaf tea (thank goodness, no tea bags!) and we were given a teapot each.

We began our ‘meal’ with the sandwiches and tiny savouries, followed by the buttermilk scones with strawberry jam and cream.




The sweets course made a fitting end to our pleasant little treat.  (The sticks are yuzu lollipops)




Overall, our High Tea was an experience that I am glad to have had.  It was fun and something I would rather like to do again.  I can see I will have to do some research and see if anyone local offers such a treat.

I hope all your Christmas and holiday preparations are going well,

Margaret 😊

 

10 comments:

  1. That looks to be a marvellous high tea Margaret - a pity you felt a bit 'let down' through lack of staff and an accurate menu., but I am sure your enjoyed it none-the-less.
    Christmas blessings to you and yours
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun is that!?!? I doubt I would have enjoyed it but I can picture you and your daughter enjoying it. Moments like that are very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staffing in food establishments seems to be a huge problem of late. Sad that it marred your once-in-a-lifetime experience with your daughter. As for the wrong fork, I am quite sure many would not know the difference. I remember when restaurants had a special knife for fish and I haven't seen one of those in years. Recently Miriam were out and decided to stop for lunch at a restaurant we had been told was quite good. They could only offer take-out food since they were unable to get wait staff. We declined their offer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. High tea is such a fun experience and you had the perfect company!

    ReplyDelete
  5. High Tea at the Chateau. Marvellous!! And that view too. Hope you can do it again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that sounds so nice...what a treat to enjoy! And you're right, I think short-staffing in most businesses has caused a slip in the quality, everyone can be stressed and overworked. Even so, so glad you had the chance to enjoy such an elegant time...ahhh, yes, a lady of leisure. How must that be?! Merry Christmas, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. The high tea with your daughter looks so lovely and delicious. It's too bad it wasn't all you had expected. You'll just have to try again one day in a different location. Trouble is there are probably not that many available.
    I had to look up Yuzu. I hadn't heard of it before and it sounds interesting. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret, last time I had high tea was in your neck of the woods at Zealong Tea Plantation (I think that's how it is spelt). I'm glad you enjoyed yours despite feeling a little let down. The view was certainly first rate. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just heard the Chateau is going to be closed down. I bet you are glad that you got to stay there when you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so glad to have been able to do that. So sad to hear it is closing permanently.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)