RECIPES

Wednesday 28 December 2022

Books Read 2022

 

Back in January of this year I started a Book List to see how many books I would actually read during the year.

I thought I would probably read only about ten, but I see I have managed twenty-six.  Most of them are non-fiction and I know I have also browsed (as opposed to read) other factual books during the year.

So, all in all, I feel quite happy with my achievement 😊

Margaret.




For posterity, this is what I read:

Charlie Hammond’s Sketch Book by Christopher Fry (1980) (an illustrated journal)

Cowpats & Brickbats by D. Henshaw & G. McBride (2010) (rural tales)

Decorative Dolls’ Houses by Caroline Hamilton (1990) (doll houses)

Delights of a Fragrant Garden in New Zealand by Olive Dunn (1991) (herbal crafts)

Encore Provence by Peter Mayle (1999) (life adventure)

English Country Pubs by Derry Brabbs (1986) (illustrated history)

Glenshee, Glen of the Fairies by Antony M. Smith (2000) (stories of a Highland Glen)

Happy Sundays with the Bible and the Children by Charlotte Yonge (about 1898) (religious)

Heart Disease Prevention Manual by Allan and John Borushek (1987) (health)

How to Age in Place by Mary Languirand (2013) (retirement advice)

Lady Blanche Farm by Frances Parkinson Keyes (1940) (romance)

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (1934) (murder mystery)

Old St Pauls by William Harrison Ainsworth (1841) (historical novel)

Puzzle for the Secret Seven by Enid Blyton (1958) (children’s adventure story)

Seasonal Home by Kristin Perers (1998) (interior decorating)

The Cherrys on Indoor Island by Will Scott (1958) (children’s fiction)

The ‘Darling Buds of May’ Book of the Seasons by H.E. Bates (1992) (nature)

The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie (1947) (short stories about crime)

The Mediterranean Diet by M. Cloutier & E. Adamson (2004) (health)

The River by Sue Miles (1984) (history of the Waikato River)

The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie (1929) (murder mystery)

The Victorian Nursery Book by Anthony and Peter Miall (1988) (Victorian era life)

The Zodiac Garden by Dorothy Hall (1994) (astrological herb gardens)

Victorian Entertaining by John C. Freeman (1989) (Victorian era life)

Victorian Keepsake by Allison Kyle Leopold (1991) (ephemera of Victorian love and romance)

Your Body’s Many Cries for Water by Dr. F. Batmanghelidi (2008) (health)

 

12 comments:

  1. You have certainly read a lot of books Margaret - and an eclectic selection it is too!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just sorting my post about books read in 2022 - total 114 and nearly all crime fiction! I'm going to look up some of yours as they sound interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a varied selection! What's next on the list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking I might tackled The Lord of the Rings - I've watched the movies often enough, so maybe it is time I read the book!

      Delete
  4. Not a nature book among them. For shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, David. You are so right. In my defence, I'm more inclined to browse nature books than read them (I'm usually looking for specific information or trying to identify something), and some are just coffee table books like the one in the picture I've posted.

      Delete
  5. Well done! Interesting list too. Agatha’s books are such a pleasure all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A super accomplishment... Hooray for you...

    On a previous blog, I used to keep track of books read... using another blog, attached to it. If that makes any sense. LOL

    🎄 💞 🎄 💞 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love other bloggers' book lists and promise myself that one day i will read some of the recommendations. I used to read voraciously but not now and don't really know why not. Anyway well done on surpassing your goal and for sharing the achievement - any particular recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom go looking for a book and usually just pick up anything in my vicinity that looks interesting, so don't really feel like I can make any recommendations. In younger days I did read more than I do now (I didn't used to fall asleep while reading in those days!).

      Delete
  8. Well done, Margaret. I like your varied choices in the 26 books you read. I tend to dip into a well-loved book and read a few chapters but don't feel I can list it as actually read. Or get a certain book from the library and don't finish it. Does It count? I'm not at all sure.
    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't included books that I have only browsed but I can't see why you can't, especially when it is a book that you have previously read or one that you dip into on a regular basis :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)