RECIPES

Saturday 3 December 2022

The Last Big Cake

 

My husband loved fruit cake and twice a year (once being Christmas, the other his birthday) I would cook up this big cake for him.

I had forgotten how big it actually was until I began gathering the ingredients together.




Since my hubby passed away I haven’t made a fruit cake, but this year our family will be together on Christmas for the first time in years and Son asked if I could make a cake.

No problems.  I still had the recipe.  I even had the large bowls and cake tin.  What I forgot was that I no longer possess the big food mixer I used to use.

Trying to make a large cake with a small hand-held cake mixer turned an enjoyable cooking session into one of jolly hard work!

That is why I won’t be making it again, not this recipe anyway.



This old ceramic bowl (below) used to belong to my grandmother and once I added the batter to mix it into the fruit, the bowl was full.

My arm struggled to mix it all!

What I really need to do is cut down the size of the recipe and make something smaller.  Why didn't I think of that in the first place?




The cake seldom got iced, unless it was for a special occasion like a twenty-first birthday party, but this time I thought I would do so (especially as the edges of the cooked cake are a little tatty looking!).

I have bought the Almond Icing already, but will make up my own Royal Icing to finish the cake and decorate it.




I’m hoping that icing the cake will be a fun activity and not a mammoth one!

Margaret 😊

 

10 comments:

  1. I love fruit cakes, and twice a year isn't enough.

    Especially I like the ones with slices of apples on top, sprinkled with cinnamon.

    This cake looks great and appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome cake. Haven't made one like that in many years. It will be wonderful with the traditional icing. I'm just making an ordinary fruit cake this year. A few days before xmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s been years since we had fruit cake. It is a big job. Our were never iced. Your recipe made a huge cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say that I have ever had fruit cake. Never really liked the looks of them but that one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband likes fruitcake too! But I have never made a real one. wow what work.

    Have made them from a mix and adding all the fruits and nuts. :-)

    🎄 🎄 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous. Don't know about you but F turns her cakes upside down to ice them. Is that weird or what? Ours hasn't been made this year and surely we are getting a bit late for it now. However we haven't got xmas puds done yet either so we will just have to eat 'young' ones. Xxx F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find that weird at all - whenever I had a cake that cooked so there was a great dip in the middle, I always turned them over :)

      Delete
  7. Your cake looks great but I can understand how mixing it by hand might be difficult. Like you say, maybe halve the recipe next time. Both of us here love fruit cake and one son-in-law in particular depends on me to share mine every year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one seriously good looking cake Margaret - it's years since I have made a fruit cake!! Ernest Adams have provided for me the past few years :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.