RECIPES

Friday 30 July 2021

Out All Day

 

I’ve been out for most of the day, galivanting around enjoying myself.

A brother-in-law and his wife took me out to lunch at a little country café.  What a lovely way to catch up on things, as well as all the extended family gossip.

Afterwards, we drove to a nearby garden centre – Wairere Nurseries, who are well-known for the wonderful collection of roses that they sell, alongside the usual plants and shrubs and trees.




We wandered around for quite a while, but in the end neither of us purchased anything.  I was surprised to see these japonicas for sale – such an old-fashioned shrub (my grandmother grew it).  Perhaps it is about to have a resurgence in popularity.




My next stop was the bookshop for a couple more puzzle books – this time, pixel puzzles and a word find book.  I like to do a puzzle at night when I am having trouble sleeping.

Then it was a spur-of-the-moment visit to another sister-in-law and more gossip!

Finally, it was time to drive home.  I thought I was early enough to miss the rush-hour traffic, but I was wrong.  So many sections of the trip home were bumper to bumper, and negotiating some of the intersections was a bit hairy.

New Zealand Olympic athletes did well with medals today.  Not bad for a little country of five million 😊

Margaret.

 

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day Margaret - I did a road trip to Rotorua today with a friend - lots of laughs and a little shopping, but we went with a particular errand in mind, so didn't cruise Spotlight and the like, which made it a bit easier on the pocket :)
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love the Olympics. Such happiness to see my 2 homeland doing so well .
    Your day sounds just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched Greece win the mens single sculls, exciting race :)

      Delete
  3. Great you have so much fun with your family!
    yikes to the traffic, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you had a very pleasant day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you lucky lucky thing to be able to have spur of the moment family contact. Japonica - yes I remember it growing around all the old houses. Another name is Japanese quince. A year or two back a colleague in London gave me some really magnificent japonica apples and asked me what I thought they were. After quizzing him about the plant, I confirmed they were what I thought and made some quince jelly out of them. It was fabulous - tangy and sweet altogether. F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of people making jelly like that, but have never tried it. It sounds a bit like crab apple jelly, which I love.

      Delete
  6. New Zealand is doing really well at the Olympics. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for "Gallivanting"!!!! Great old saying, which I have not heard, in a long time! I love it!

    We have to do some soon. We are growing roots, sitting in this house. Had the *Jab*. Waited the full 5 weeks, to have it fully work. Now, gooooo. Some at least.

    We are too old to go as much as you did, but........ At least 'pull up our roots' and get out!!!!!!!! LOL

    ✨💛✨💛✨

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive heard of Wairere, I've ordered in the past from them online, they have quiet a good selection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, having a wonderful day of gallivanting around being taken out for lunch and then having a nice browse among plants. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pasaste un día muy bonito. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish we had winters like yours:) Glad you had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to go out and enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx