RECIPES

Monday 2 November 2020

Elvis Presley Museum


 

Elvis is fine in the garage, but he is not allowed in the house!



Kevin (KD) Wasley of Hawera has been collecting Elvis Presley memorabilia for the past sixty years, and his wife insists the best place for him to store it is NOT inside the home.

Probably a good reason why he is still happily married!




And so Elvis continues to live in the garage which KD first opened to the public as a museum around forty years ago.  It is free to visit (donations are appreciated), and is currently open by appointment only.

Even the roof is covered with souvenirs.  There is not an inch of space that does not display something.




There are baby guitars and key rings,




Along with music boxes that jostle for space with mugs and ties and sparkly jackets.




There was so much to see that it took us over an hour to look around.  Almost anything you can name can be found here, or so it seemed.

And no prizes for guessing who was singing the hit songs playing in the background!





Although I do love several of Elvis' hit songs, I am not what you could call a massive fan of Elvis Presley.  

However, I found this collection incredibly interesting – and the infectious enthusiasm of the curator collector made our visit a real pleasure.




If anyone wishes to learn more about this place, there is a webpage available:  www.elvismuseum.co.nz

Have a great day 😊

Margaret.



12 comments:

  1. Great photos sure was an amazing place

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an impressive collection!! Nice picture of you and KD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy, I so understand his wife!!! LOL, that sure is Elvis-overload!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of Elvis, but this man is, I would be the same as his wife, his collection is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can you say? That is a devotion alright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it is a cool Elvis museum. I love all the guitars and key rings.
    Enjoy your day! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief. What a collection. One of our neighbours just loves Elvis and the highlight of his life was visiting Gracelands. I did used to like Elvis, back then, but have long moved on lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. He sure does love Elvis. I think it would be interesting to look around for sure. There is a car museum here which has one of the convertibles used in an Elvis movie. If I owned it, I’d be driving it around not storing it in a museum. Selfish I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a collection. When we were first married over 40 years ago I worked with a girl that had been to 26 of his concerts and had 2 or three photo albums of him...slot with pics of her and him. She was devastated when he passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a committed Elvis fan back in my younger years and I used to get Elvis Magazine, wish I still had all those old copies! I'd love to look round this museum. You were so lucky to get the guided tour. If Elvis was still alive today, he would be 85!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fascinating place Margaret - it looks impressive!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx