RECIPES

Wednesday 18 November 2020

Afghan Biscuits

 

I am no sure how politically correct it is to call these biscuits (cookies) Afghans, but I have never heard them called anything else.  They have been a firm favourite in our family for decades, and I cooked up some this morning as a special treat for us.




They are quite simple to make.   

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, then measure out 2oz cornflakes and finely crush them (I use a potato masher for this job).




Beat together 7oz butter and 3oz sugar until creamy.




Sift together 6oz flour and 1oz cocoa powder.  Mix with the crushed cornflakes and stir them into the creamed mixture until everything is well mixed.




Turn out the mixture and divide into three roughly equal portions.  Divide each portion into eight segments, to give 24 biscuits in total.




Roll each segment into a ball and place on a greased baking tray.  Using a fork (dipping it in water helps to stop it sticking), lightly press down each ball to form a biscuit.




Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 10-12 minutes until cooked.  Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a cake rack to finish cooling.




While the biscuits are baking, prepare the icing (frosting).  Sift together 6oz icing sugar (powdered/confectioner’s sugar) and 2 teaspoons cocoa powder. 

Add enough cold water to mix to a stiff icing (only add in tiny amounts or it will become too runny).




Once the Afghans are cool enough to touch (but still warm), place a small dollop of icing on the top of each.  A piece of walnut pressed into the icing is a traditional decoration.




Allow the Afghans to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container.  Layers can be separated using a double layer of waxed paper or something similar.

Then all that remains is to eat them 😊

Margaret.


Note that these are a lot smaller than many modern biscuits, especially commercially produced ones.  This is the size that was common around 50 years ago when I first began baking.



15 comments:

  1. The Afghan cookies look interesting and I may have to buy a box of corn flakes. We don't normally have them around any more. Rice Krispies wouldn't be a good substitute I suppose( Those I make sure I never run out of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try Rice Krispies. The flavour is probably the same but the texture would be different. I often change recipes around according to what I have on hand.

      Delete
  2. These sound delicious....I am betting Roger would like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were one of my favourite biscuits as a kid! We didn't crush up the cornflakes too much though. You are right about the size of biscuits then and now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me an Afghan Margaret, and I actually was able to purchase one in Putaruru today, somewhat larger than yours, but the smallest item in the cabinet!! it went down well with my coffee :)
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    I have never heard of these cookies, they look delicious!
    Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it would be ridiculous to re-name them.
    As ridiculous as "we" are.
    We used to have "Negerkuss" - they renamed them to "Schaumkuss" as "Neger" as a negro.
    Same with "Zigeunerschnitzel" They wanted or did rename that, too, "Zigeuner" is a gypsy. And then gypsies stood up one time and said they´re proud on that dish.
    It´s a crazy world, enjoy your Afghans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh they sound delicious!!!!!

    And I love how you ask, if it is now "Politically Correct" to call them, by their *always* name!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What weird and crazy times, we live in!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sure look good and I have the grandkids on Saturday. These would be a good project with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they would enjoy making them - and eating them!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the cooking lesson. I had forgotten about these. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's never occurred to me that there could ever be anything politically suspect about the name. They were such a part of New Zealand life but I never made them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Afghan biccies look totally scrumptious!
    Here in Canada a handmade knitted or crocheted blankie to put over your knees or around your shoulders is called an Afghan. No idea why. So you could wear an Afghan at the same time as eating an Afghan.... and possibly be discussing politics with an Afghan at the same time.....? Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that is starting to sound rather complicated :))

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx