RECIPES

Tuesday 24 November 2020

Artisan Bread

 

Words fail to adequately describe the wonderful smell of freshly cooked bread.  It is a cozy warm smell that wraps around one and infuses the senses with a double dose of domestic harmony – and an overwhelming desire to eat some!

I had that experience this morning when I bought a loaf of organic sourdough multi-grain bread that had not long been removed from the oven. 

With a certain amount of will-power I managed to resist eating any of it until lunchtime, and then found it delicious and filling.  Artisan bread is so different to commercially baked bread.




I bought the bread while checking out two organic shops that I had heard about, and also purchased lamb sausages and beef patties as well as a dozen free-range eggs.

The chickens are allowed to roam free on an organic farm, with their houses being moved each week to a fresh location.  No colouring agents (to make the yolk yellow) are used – “What you get in our eggs is what the chickens make.”  We will see tomorrow whether they pass the taste test or not.




Neither shop had a very impressive range of organic fruit and vegetables so I avoided purchasing any of them, but did find a small shaker of dried sea-lettuce and this lovely comb.

The comb handle is made from sustainable sandalwood and the comb teeth are made using ox horn.  It has a very satisfying tactile feel and combs my long hair without any problems.




A quick visit to the local supermarket was needed to buy some fresh fruit and vegetables, and then back home before the rain arrived.

It is always a good feeling to get the shopping finished before the weather turns bad 😊

Margaret.



19 comments:

  1. I like Farm Eggs they have bright yolks and taste so much better! Hope your experience is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My DIL has chickens, and I am able to get fresh eggs from there as required. It's years since I made sour dough bread. I used to make it regularly at one point, but no one else in the house would eat it, and it was too much for me, so I gave up. I loved it though.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sliced up this loaf and frozen most of it - it is too much for me as well and the others prefer white bread. Makes lovely eating though.

      Delete
  3. That comb is the sort of thing that could be an archaeological artifact centuries from now. That'll confuse 'em. They'll think they are digging around in the age of plastic and find a Viking comb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bread looks just like mine ! Much denser than a normal loaf. I couldn't resist last time I baked and ate a red hot slice. That smell is so enticing.
    What do you do with sea lettuce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tried it before but it says to sprinkle it on salads, fish, eggs etc. A bit like kelp. I added some to my fish tonight and it was pleasantly tasty to eat, not too strong.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the eggs! In my Brother´s place there is a farmer that sells such eggs and it makes such a difference! Sad it´s so far away when you don´t have a car...
    Always good to buy quality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby makes all or bread, I can't eat commercial loafs as they irritate my tummy, he is always adding things to the mix, I do love rosemary in my bread. We have a new organic shop open with lovely loose fruit and veg, we now buy what we need, they also have loads of spices and dried ingredients, we pop in a couple times each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great place. Organic produce seems to be scarce around here, especially fresh stuff.

      Delete
  7. Hello,

    The sourdough bread looks delicious. It is great to have the fresh organic eggs.
    Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see that comb...wondering if Lorelei would like it.

    I used to work at s bakery where we made Italian bread. Soon as the first batch came out of the oven, we tore a loaf open and always had butter on hand...it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good bread is hard to find. Before I retired I used to go to a fabulous Italian bakery in Toronto, but that's a long way to go to buy a loaf! When we last visited France we used to visit the local bakery every second day to buy a baguette fresh from the oven, about a third of which was consumed before we made it back to the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard France is an excellent place for buying exceptional bread. I believe their fresh produce markets are also fantastic. Must be a great place to live.

      Delete
  10. I have to shop this morning and I am dreading it. The comb looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing beats the smell of fresh bread. Between middle son and myself we run our breadmaker 5 or 6 times a week. We both prefer using the 'dough' function and forming our loaves ourselves. He makes pizza dough and focaccia and cinnamon bun dough all using that breadmaker. I think we're on our third appliance now. No one in this house could ever go on a carb-free diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby and I used a breadmaker for our bread supply for many years. I like the sound of those cinnamon buns!

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx