RECIPES

Friday 30 October 2020

Virginia Lake

 

A beautiful place, well worth visiting, lies at the heart of Whanganui city.  It is the Virginia Lake Reserve, 18 hectares (45 acres) of lake, bush, gardens, walkways, sculptures and other pleasant Sunday-afternoon diversions.




Virginia Lake itself was originally known as Rotokawau, which refers to the native black shag that still visits here to feed (I believe it also breeds here). 

Maori believed the lake had been formed by the tears of angry gods and of the beautiful woman named Tainui, after her lover was strangled by a jealous suitor.




The Higginbottom Fountain is a floating copper and steel waterlily, and has been a feature here for the last fifty years.  It can be activated for 10 minutes by inserting a $1 coin into the machine (on shore, so you don’t have to wade out there!).




The Lake is home to numerous birds, especially ducks, geese, coots, and pukeko.  Their droppings were a bit of a problem though, and one had sometimes to be very careful where one placed one’s feet!

I enjoyed seeing the swans, both white and black, and was intrigued to see how the white swans treated the smaller black ones – they were quite bossy, and the black ones did their best to stay well out of the way.




Different sculptures and art works are scattered around the place, and this pleasant seat was sited near the Winter Gardens for those who just wanted to sit and contemplate for a while.




The indoor Winter Gardens were full of bold displays of vibrant colour.




Tucked into various corners there were different pieces of art work to be discovered.




There were also peaceful corners to be found in the Winter Gardens, which helped relieve the eye of all the bright colours.




And occasionally a lurking danger could be found to scare unwary children.




After dark, Higginbottom Fountain is illuminated by fifteen jets of amber, blue, green and red, giving an ever-changing display which lasts for forty minutes.

Our return visit to see the lights made for a very pretty way to end our day.




I hope you have enjoyed this wander around some of Virginia Lake Reserve.  It really is a beautiful place to visit.

Margaret 😊


NEWSFLASH (30 Oct 2020):  Whanganui has been awarded the title Most Beautiful Small City in New Zealand (Hamilton is the most beautiful large city!) in the Keep New Zealand Beautiful Awards 2020.  Congratulations Whanganui and Hamilton!



32 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear about Wanganui and also yesterday's post, specially about the two spellings. I had noticed the difference and wondered about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looks better without the h, but that is only my opinion.

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying the 'virtual tour' with you, thank you Margaret. Was the tearooms open? It may not have survived Lockdown? We don't know Whanganui very well, but we did enjoy the Virginia Lake, and also the wonderful museum and art gallery. It was closed for major renovations, so again, perhaps it's not open again. Strange times we live in, even when we're as fortunate as we are here. Thanks for sharing your journey.
    Virginia (from Wellington)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had lunch at the Funky Duck Cafe next door to the Winter Gardens (they were busy). Never got the chance to see the museum or art gallery - maybe next time.

      Delete
  3. I like the new banner, so fresh.
    Sad background-story to the lake, though. But nice idea with the fountain.
    Oh, my, even swans join in? Just kidding... they are beautiful.
    Oh, this is so well done with love to detail and the illuminated fountain sure is wonderful.
    No wonder it got an award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of the swans being racist! - Just big bird bullies :)

      Delete
  4. Your trip looks amazing, so many lovely places, and for me somewhere I will never see, love the colour in the flowers in the winter gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have become an armchair traveler, visiting remote places around the globe and entering into people's daily lives - I love blogger world!

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    The reserve looks like a beautiful place to visit, lovely garden and lake. The fountain is pretty. Great photos! Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a very appealing spot to visit. I am quite sure I could have spent several happy hours there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you David when we were there. It would be great to go round the place with someone who had your knowledge of birds.

      Delete
  7. The reserve is indeed a treasure. The birds alone would keep me occupied. Thank you for sharing the beauty of NZ, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very vibrant new header photo. It is great to know those hothouse displays are still a part of botanical garden culture in NZ. As a kid I loved going to the hothouse in the park in Waimate (Sth Canterbury) - possibly a tiny offering in the scheme of things and I wonder if it still exists today. The Whanganui gardens sound truly huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to put Waimate on my list next time I go down there and see if it is still operating.

      Delete
  9. I totally enjoyed this visit...I have never seen a black swan in real life. Interesting about how the white ones treated them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child, we used to visit a lake in Rotorua that had black swans. They always used to hiss at us, rather frightening for a small child!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely park. I like the idea of the fountain playing for $1.00

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely place, your photographs a joy to see.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Higginbottom fountain is pretty with the colourful evening display.
    Virginia Lake also looks like such a great place to sit and admire how peaceful and lovely it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing news, congratulations to your cities dear Margaret! And My oh my! You just took us to such a beautiful place! I would so love to see those flowers and that coin operated fountain, it's the first time I have heard of such and it's so amazing! Oh new Zealand you are totally a dream for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was a child this is the one place I would ask my father to stop at on the way between South Taranaki and Wellington. I loved the glass houses full of colorful begonias and surely it must have influenced me to enjoy gardening all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a hidden treasure Margaret - a beautiful spot to spend an afternoon, or more!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.