RECIPES

Monday 26 October 2020

Tirohana Estate

 

It is a long time since I was last given the opportunity to appreciate the pleasure of some fine dining, and Tirohana Estate was a perfect remedy. 



This Martinborough vineyard produces award-winning boutique wines, with their grapes being nourished by the special properties of alluvial terraces of an ancient dry riverbed.




We were collected from our motel by complimentary shuttle bus and welcomed at the door by our cheerful host, before being given a Sauvignon Squeeze (sauvignon blanc with pineapple juice and lemonade).  At our table we were served an Amuse Bouche, which in our case was a small sample of Roasted Carrot Soup with Olive Oil Drizzle.




We followed a $65 per person fixed-price menu, and had a choice of five items for an Entrée.  I chose Portobello Mushroom, stuffed with blue cheese and served with sun-dried tomato quinoa and the Estate’s own chutney.




Main Course choices were Beef Brisket, Lamb Shank, Pork Rack, Fish en Papillote, Stuffed Sweet Kumara, or a Vegan Filo dish, all served with seasonal vegetables.

I chose the Lamb Shank with feta sauce de viande.  It was melt-in-the-mouth delicious!




With our meal we had a 2018 Estate-produced Pinot Gris, which I forgot to photograph!  It was light and refreshing and very easy to drink.

After eating our Main Course we were encouraged to take a stroll outside, a perfect way to appreciate the mellow evening and allow our meal some time to settle before tackling the sweets course.




For dessert I chose Chocolate Torte with Strawberry Dust, served with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.




Finally, our meal was rounded off with a small Chocolate Truffle.  Rich and smooth and a lovely taste to finish with.




All in all, it was a very enjoyable pleasant evening.  We felt spoilt by all the attention and the food and wine were perfect.

Well done, Tirohana Estate 😊

Margaret.

 

Just to make things clear, this review is a personal opinion and not made for advertising reasons.




19 comments:

  1. Oh Margaret - I am drooling, over that lamb shank especially. I love them at the best of times, but that looks devine!! Glad to see you had a wonderful evening.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful both the meal and the venue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that certainly made me feel hungry. It looks like you’ve been having a great holiday. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great meal obviously and I am glad you enjoyed it. We are drifting more and more towards vegetarianism, both for health reasons and compassion for our fellow creatures. We are not there 100% and probably at our stage in life never will be, but seeing those bones of the lamb which a short time ago had been newly born, and frolicked in those gorgeous New Zealand meadows, would be a tad too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    What a lovely place to have a dinner. Your meal looks delicious, I like your choices. Take care, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great treat (I´d skip the sweets, though).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fact that you took all those photos of your food, and I must say it all looks wonderfully presented and colourful and appetizing..... gorgeous! A bit of fine dining does wonders for the soul doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a friend from martinborough and we often visited from Wellington in the 70s. Then it was the hotel, a dairy and not much else ! It sure has changed. Your visit sounds excellent. Fantastic food and drink

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is lovely to treat yourself to such fine dining every so often. It all looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all sounds delicious! What a good place to dine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an evening of being wined and dined in that lovely old house. Everything was so well presented and looked marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The meal you had looks delicious. We don't see lamb on the menu very often here and when we do it is VERY expensive and not that great!! When we go to the Okanagan Valley in B.C. we like to treat ourselfs to a meal at one of the vineyards and we are never disappointing. Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although we eat a lot less meat now I would have loved those lamb shanks. I do enjoy slow cooked meat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dinner and outing sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so excited to find your beautiful New Zealand blog. The more I see of your amazing country the more I fall in love with it and with it's friendly people. I have been touring through some of your older posts and having a grand old time. On my budget I do my world traveling over the internet. It doesn't match with the real thing, but it's still a lovely ride :)
    God bless you . . . and happy to meet you,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks scrumptious - my mouth is literally watering!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've inspired me. I've found a recipe for Roasted Carrot Soup, it sounds so simple but I would never have thought of it. Gosh, that lamb shank looks good. Sounds like the perfect dining experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx