RECIPES

Tuesday 3 January 2023

Thankyou So&So

 

Nearly five years ago my laptop crashed, and the following week my back-up hard-drive corrupted.  Thankfully most of my records were still available on a much older hard-drive, but there were still some important files I was unable to access.

Among them were nearly all my photographs from 2015 to 2018.  I mourned those photos and always hoped that one day I might take the laptop to an expert somewhere and maybe, just maybe, it would be possible to “rescue” them.

My husband died soon afterwards and the laptop disappeared into all the other bits and pieces that got packed away through all the upheaval and put into storage.

It got unpacked again when I moved in to live with Son, but got pushed to the back of a wardrobe and almost forgotten about.


Gore Bay, Cheviot


Recently I was talking with some people and it came up in conversation.  Why not ask So&So if he can help, I was asked – and so I did, and he has!

It apparently took a bit of working to get into the laptop system, but all my files were still there.


Grand Hotel, Akaroa


I have spent a few hours today looking through them (now on a terabyte external solid-state hard-drive) and all I can say is THANKYOU to So&So for all his help. 

I am so thrilled to be able to see my photos again.  They included three major trips away, two down to Christchurch and the other one trekking at Abel Tasman National Park.


Awaroa Beach, Abel Tasman NP


Photographs may only be records of memory, but they can be very precious to us and I am so happy to see these ones again.

Margaret 😊

 

(The photos are all “rescued” ones from my three trips away.)

 

22 comments:

  1. Oh Margaret, I know you're so relieved! Those photos hold such sweet memories. My daughter is going through something similar now...she's ready for a new cell phone, but can't seem to get the photos on it off to save - she's tried so many options. And then, somehow, photos she had on her laptop have vanished...oh the trickery of technology. We're hoping for a good outcome...too bad your So&So is soooo long distance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sympathise with your daughter, and really hope she finds a way to retrieve them.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! We have two laptops in the closet as well. I think we had everything backed up but just cannot throw them away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I call a stroke of good luck!!! A number of years ago my computer crashed and I thought I had lost all my pictures. They were retrieved but are all jumbled together ( not organized by years as they were before).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been so difficult - good that you have got them, but bad they are jumbled. Hope you got them sorted out again.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic. Marvellous to retrieve all those memories

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fabulous good news.... and F recognizes all those places. It is a fabulous country isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is - but just a bit earthquake prone! We had one this morning that was strong enough to wake me up :)

      Delete
  6. We have a brilliant so&so locally, he has fixed my desk top twice and upgraded it, photo's are everything, I now keep all mine on a separate external hard drive

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please tell So&So that if he wishes to move here and set up shop I will have a steady stream of business for him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for So&So and knowledge of technology! I too have lost important photos. I can imagine the importance of these photos! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is great news! We lost photos in 2006 and have never been able to retrieve them, luckily we had given many of them to other family members so we got most of them back, bar a holiday that we had just taken....you are so right that it photos can be important to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful!

    Best Christmas present!
    🚰 🚰 🚰 🚰

    ReplyDelete
  11. What joy... now I was very happy for you. It's wonderful that there are people who could help.
    It will be a wonderful time for you to see all your photos again... best memories.
    Yipp... that's nice.
    I wish you a happy 2023, good luck and health.
    Hug of Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Viola. I hope 2023 will be a great one for you too :)

      Delete
  12. How wonderful to have your data and photos retrieved after all this time Margaret - so very precious
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such great news! Wonderful you got your photos / memories back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A VERY BIG YIPEEE to getting all your pics back!!!!
    I now have two back-up-systems on my PC.
    Wonderful pics, too!

    Oh, I have another problem. When we traveled Australia (twice!!!) we still used real film and took few pics, so most is but in my head...

    Yay for you 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love digital :) We used to take so few film photos because they were so expensive to develop. So much better now :)

      Delete
  15. I am so glad So&So could get them back for you! I would have been so happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx