RECIPES

Monday 23 January 2023

Old Friends

 

There can be much joy in meeting up  with long-lost friends – or much disillusionment!

Thankfully, I can report having much joy over the weekend when I met up with some friends I had not seen for nearly thirty years.


Ostrich Foot shell, Otamarakau Beach


While in the supermarket last week, I had been approached by a woman who thought she knew me.  I never recognised her at all, but when she said her name I could then see she was the much older version of my one-time friend.

Through a series of events (nothing malicious), our ways had separated in the early 1990s and although I had heard odd reports of her and her husband, I had never met up with them again.


Ram's Horn shells, Ruapuke Beach


It was with some trepidation that I set out to have afternoon tea with them, not really knowing what to expect.  Our respective children have all grown up, her husband has now retired, and I am now a widow.

But everything went well and we laughed a lot over our reminiscences and caught up on what had been happening with mutual acquaintances.  


Sand Dollar shell, Waikawau Bay


I even discovered another friend, whom I had believed dead, was still alive and I intend catching up with her this week if I can.

Good friends can make the world a happier place 😊

Margaret.

 

8 comments:

  1. Great to hear of the friends reunion and that it went well. Nice to read that a circle had been closed after so many years apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful!
    When I visited family I very seldom met people from my Childhood.
    My Mum once said, "hey, recognize the woman over there?"
    I did not. She was my friend in kindy and early school.
    She looked so old. 20 years older than me, I think. I did not walk over, we would have nothing to say to each other - or... would we?
    Others I met at my Brother´s shop. They all recognized me (my Brother and I look alike) and even remembered my name. I had to whisper. "who is this?!"
    40 years have gone by in a blink of an yes (ha, it even makes a rhyme!)
    Glad you had such a nice experience, bet the next will be as great! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Reconnecting with an old friend after 30 years!!! It's great that you have been able to find each other and even discovered that another friend is still alive. I hope you have a lovely week. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister in law sends me greetings now and again of people I went to school with. The names are familiar but just can't picture the faces.
    So nice of your friend to invite you for tea. Lovely you could just carry on and catch up

    ReplyDelete
  5. A serendipitous encounter that may lead to a whole new social life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They can indeed. Glad it worked out so well for you, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How special to be recognised and to renew your friendship with this friend, and to be able to do so with another friend also.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see where you would be anxious....My childhood friends and I have all gotten together twice since I left home. And we could have talked and laughed all night. One married my brother so we email every day of the week, back and forth all day long...and two of the others, I have contact with occasionally. See their posts on FB...an there is another girl that always clicks she likes whatever I post on FB or Instagram...but with us 5 girls, it is like we have never been apart when we see each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx