RECIPES

Friday 7 January 2022

Michelangelo Exhibition

 

In the early 1500s, Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican in Rome.

With very little chance of seeing the art works in person, I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to go to an exhibition in Auckland, showcasing the paintings.




Not the real paintings of course, but accurate full-scale print reproductions of his work. 

There were wall panels around the outside of the room.




The “ceiling” was all laid out on the floor instead of the ceiling!  Instead of craning upwards, we stood on a platform and gazed downwards.

I found it amazing to see the detail in the different paintings – it must have been extremely difficult for Michelangelo to do when lying on his back high up in the roof on scaffolding that may not have been that safe.




After the exhibition we were going to visit friends on the North Shore, but were too early so we spent some time wandering around Devonport instead.  

It is nearly fifty years since I was last there so I didn’t remember much of it.  This time I found a lovely village atmosphere and a very attractive wharf area (the ferry from downtown Auckland crosses the harbour and berths here).

I especially loved the old buildings, and this hotel near the wharf was one of my favourites.




We had nearly three hours visiting with our (fully vaccinated!) friends.  So good to be able to catch up, and I was very grateful I didn’t have to drive home again.

Today I have been “recovering” – strange, I must be getting older!!  Once upon a time, a full day out was more exhilarating than exhausting 😊 

Have a happy day,

Margaret.

 

17 comments:

  1. What a great way to see and appreciate the paintings. An exhibition worth seeing!!
    Sounds like you had a lovely day. Now have a relaxing one

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day out, I too would lovee to see the paintings so I'll join you by looking at your photos. brilliant way to look down instead of up. Valx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing exhibition Margaret - that would be breath-taking to visit!! Devonport really is a wonderful old section of the city - I can understand needing a day to recover - I think I would need that too, even if I was driven...
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks and reads like a really enjoyable day out. It's strange how as you get older the days get so much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this seems like a wonderfully exhilarating day from start to finish. It is really quite amazing how modern technology enables us to see images we might never have seen in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the exhi it was something to see! I have to recover after a day out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am lucky enough to have seen the real thing. How anyone can paint so magnificently upside down is beyond me. One of the things I remember most about the visit was the guard who kept telling everyone to be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have been marvellous to see the real thing, but what a strange thing for the guard to say. Was it, I wonder, because you were inside a church?

      Delete
    2. On my visit to the Vatican some 15 years ago now, the Chapel was the last place to be seen on a tour through the Vatican Museum. There were hundreds and hundreds of people lining up to tour through as we snaked our way through the art exhibits. There were so many people crowded in the Sistine chapel that even if they were all whispering there was still a hubbub of noise.

      Delete
  8. That sounds like a lovely outing! It must have felt wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. -happy sigh- Ohhhhh what a full and wonderful Day Out. Amazing...

    so rest after. Who says we have to still be as we were, when younger???? no one. Now we need to rest after fun!!!!!!!!!!!

    ❄ ❄ ❄
    “Anne came dancing home
    in the purple winter twilight
    across the snowy places.”
    ❄ ❄ ❄

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beauty!! I'm glad you got to see it.
    I also find that a day out means a day of recuperation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a really cool exhibition, and I recognize that building, it's in Devonport.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and interesting! Always so nice visiting your blog...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you got to see the exhibition, Margaret. Thanks for the beautiful photos, including the old pub in Devonport.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great! Thank you for sharing this - hope the exhibition comes to us someday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's truly amazing art and even after all these years living in Europe I haven't been to see it. Maybe I should be looking for an exhibition lime the one you visited.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx