RECIPES

Friday 7 August 2020

Shopping Frustration

The portable USB hard-drive that I use to store my photos is beginning to stutter around so I thought I would buy a new one before it packed up completely.

There are a couple of shops that sell these – I dismissed the big PB Tech store because their staff are always so patronizing (little old ladies know nothing), so drove across town to Warehouse Stationery.

The hard-drives were not on display.  Instead they had little cards hanging there, to be taken to checkout to receive the item you want.  I chose one and picked up a card, of which there were at least five.

The checkout was unattended,  so I crossed the shop to The Warehouse checkout and stood in line to be served.  When I asked if I could buy it there she said yes, but she didn’t know what the card was about. 

Wait for a supervisor.   No, I will have to go to the Warehouse Stationery checkout for that.  “But there was no-one there,” I complained.  “Oh,” she says, “you just have to stand there and someone will come eventually.”



I walked back across the shop and there was a girl, all by herself, with a queue of people waiting.  I waited patiently, but one woman in front of me plonked her stuff down and walked out.

The girl, who really belonged to the Copy Department and not the Computer side, searched through the cupboards but couldn’t find anything so she rang for assistance.  Lots of people waiting behind me now.

A woman sauntered over and took the card from me.  She slowly went to the back of the serving area and picked up some keys and unlocked a cupboard.  Finally, she came back and shoved a box at me.  “We don’t have that one,” she says, “only this larger one” as she scanned it in - it was $50 dearer!

“But what about all the cards hanging at the display,” says me, beginning to lose my cool.  She pulled a bit of a couldn’t-care-less face, shrugged, and said “Nobody’s been up there to remove them.”

I walked out. 

I don’t need to give my custom to any business that operates like that.  Son says he will buy me one online (but not from them!).

Now, I feel much better having told you all that!  I'm not complaining, but I do expect a certain standard of quality from the shops that I give my money to.

It is just coming in to rain again so I am glad to be home.  The builder came yesterday and put a new floor down in the toilet, and the plumber is expected on Monday to install the new unit.

All is good J

Margaret.


20 comments:

  1. Things like that are really annoying. I think I would have left long before you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, customer service is why we enter shops and no purchase on line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - I would walk out too with that attitude! We are loosing our Noel Leeming's, so will be reduced to eitheer a smaller, private company or online shopping too for techi stuff. Thanksfully my SiL does my tech shopping for me most of the time
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. And then the main street retailers complain about all the shopping online that we do. Mind you, I don't think of Warehouse as a main street shop - they put a lot of the smaller operators out of business too. I guess I am lucky not to be counting every penny, but find that I am prepared these days to hunt out personal service and stick to it, even when it costs a little more. Being recognized and greeted when you enter the premises, and helped to achieve what you arrived there to do goes a long way in the shopper satisfaction stakes doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do my best to avoid on line shopping and give my business to local merchants, but an attitude like that would drive me away in a hurry. The store looks like a big box store. Is there no local computer store you can buy from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is only PB Tech now, that I know of (see my post above). I always used to shop at Dick Smith, but they went bankrupt and closed down.

      Delete
  6. That's appalling! If that happened to me I would also be taking my business elsewhere. Have you thought of hunting out the email address for their customer services department and sending an email along the lines of 'very disappointed, long-time customer - here's the reason why' and outlining what happened, pointing no fingers, but just saying that you think, particularly in these very difficult times, that customers deserve something better? You might well end up with some vouchers to help towards your next purchase, or even the item itself. If not, at least you will have got it off your chest and flagged up to them that things in that shop are really not as they should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the rare times this sort of thing happens, I used to think about doing that. Then I discovered I am one of the Silent Majority who simply vote with their feet - it will be a long time before I go back there again.

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    Their customer service sounds awful. I would have left too. It does feel good to rant, let it out. Customers are buying more online lately due to the pandemic, I have been buying more from Amazon. Take care, have a happy day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son runs a 3-D printing business as well as his regular job and he buys almost everything online, saying it is faster, usually cheaper, and he always gets exactly what he is wanting. Enjoy your day :)

      Delete
  8. I don't understand customer service like that, either. I would probably have come home and complained to higher authorities. I was wondering how your bathroom was coming along. I will be glad for you when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granddaughter will be glad when it is finished as well, then she can come home again :)

      Delete
  9. Good grief!!!! That is beyond the pale!!!!!! How do they do any business?????? With the employees acting like that!

    No you most certainly should not give them your business. Harrrrrrumph...

    "Beside a babbling brook" blog
    'Miss BB' 🐝🐝

    ReplyDelete
  10. On line shopping sounds really good after hearing your story of shopping frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we all agree that you got awful service at that store. My kids seem to do all their ordering/buying on-line.
    Good news that the builder has come and gone and the plumber will hopefully get his [art done on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When so many now have no jobs you would imagine that those who do, would work hard to keep them. Terrible service. My Warehouse stationery store is great. Thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a frustrating shopping experience!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Customer Service is no longer...and that is sad...I would send a copy of your blog to the Corporate Headquarters:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "... someone will come eventually"?!!! What?!!!
    Boy, WHAT?! Service, huh?
    I was at ALDI. Had a look, no sign you need a trolley. Some want. Others don´t, I wanted but tomatoes, wore a mask kept the distance and the cash out lady saw me, screamed she has to endure "me", called the manager who told me off, also. My arguments went into oblivion, so I put the tomatoes down and left.
    You are not alone...

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx