RECIPES

Thursday 6 August 2020

Hiroshima

It is 75 years today since Allied Forces dropped a devastating atomic bomb on Hiroshima, to be followed by one at Nagasaki.  It makes me sad to think it took such horrific events to end the mindless killings of a world war. 

My father visited this demolished city some months afterwards and it left a sobering impact on him.



There is a World Peace Bell in Christchurch and this was tolled this morning, along with other Peace Bells around the world.



The history of mankind is littered with the pain and suffering and cruelty of wars and man’s inhumanity to his own kind.

One wonders if it will ever end.



I have had trouble loading the two photographs with this post, so hope they are visible.

12 comments:

  1. I still have a book on Hiroshima by John Hersey on my kindle.
    I "managed" to read 18% but have to switch to other books, it´s hurting too much.
    Yes. Will stupid cruelty ever end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My late sister-in-law's first husband was a Pearl Harbour Survivor and he later served in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to believe that it will ever end. There has never been a day without war since those horrific events and it continues to this day, and Donald Trump muses about whether the US should invade Venezuela as though it were a sporting event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Margaret, the photos are showing. Thank for for the reminder of that catastrophe... history is littered with man's inhumanity to man - seems as though mankind never learns :(
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I believe in peace for all. War is such a waste! I like the peace bell memorial. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My father-in-law (my ex's father) was part of J Force with the NZ Army and went to Japan straight after the war. He died of leukaemia and we always wondered if it was the effect of the radiation as he was part of the clean up there. Terrible times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This day always this day always gives me pause as well. Your father saw the total devastation. It must have been a difficult time for him and something he carried through life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of peace bells all over the world. Will we ever learn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately history would indicate that it will never end. I don't have a very high opinion of the human race as an entity. Fortunately there are enough wonderful people around to compensate enough to make life pretty good for a significant number of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just so few people make decisions that sets in motion years of wars and the ending of thousands of lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One does wonder indeed, Margaret. What a terrible event.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx