RECIPES

Wednesday 26 August 2020

Hearty Soup

 

Thank-you everyone for all your wonderful and encouraging comments on my last post.  Sometimes we just need to step back from things for a short time to get a better perspective on things – my head is in a much better place now!

Although it has not been too cold the last few days it has been a bit wet and windy, so I made us a pot of hearty Scotch Broth to cheer us up.  I make up my own version of this traditional soup (recipe below) and served it with some crisp toast.

Scotch Broth soup


Unfortunately, son’s second pet rat (named Pepper) has now died and joined his brother in the Memorial Plot in our lawn.  Two new young rats will be joining us this coming weekend, but I probably still won’t touch them at all.  I can admire their personalities and even laugh at their antics, but I find I cannot bring myself to handle them.


R.I.P.  Pepper

It has been encouraging to see the first signs of Spring heading this way.  Buds are growing fat and we have even had a leaf burst on the grape vine.

A few years ago, I was given a bunch of narcissus blooms as a cheery reminder that Spring was arriving.   I can still smell their perfume when I look at this photo.


A cheerful assortment

Have a happy enjoyable day everyone 😊

Margaret.


SCOTCH BROTH.

Place around 400g lamb neck or shoulder chops into a large saucepan.  Add 6 cups cold water, 1 tsp salt, and 1 Tbsp barley.  Cover and bring to the boil.  Remove lid and skim off and discard any scum that has risen to the top.

Turn down heat and simmer for 90 minutes until meat is tender and falling from the bone. 

Remove meat from pot and set aside.  When cool, strip from the bones and cut into pieces.  Meanwhile, add 2½  cups chopped and/or grated vegetables to the broth and bring to the boil.  Turn down the heat and simmer for 60 minutes.

I usually use a mixture of vegetables such as carrot, leek, onion, swede, and celery.  I often also add a little broccoli or cauliflower to the mix.  If the meat was particularly fatty, I sometimes let the broth go cold so that I can skim off any congealed fat before adding the vegetables.

Add the meat back to the cooked vegetables and season to taste with extra salt and pepper.  Serve hot with toast or croutons, and a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley over the top of the soup.

This soup makes about four servings, and I have successfully frozen it for up to three months.

18 comments:

  1. We have lamb cops or roast at one of our friends homes...in the grocery store it is only available old and frozen. Your soup sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spring flowers have so much beautiful colour at a dull time. Here I have just purchased my spring bulbs and I will be planting pots soon for next year. Your broth looks very hearty, often when food is shown it looks colourless and uninteresting, but I do love anything with lamb. I am glad to read you are feeling better and back with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back again. Soup looks and sounds good. Vegetable soup here tonight. It turned quite chilly today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. That soup looks so comforting - I can't wait for the temperatures to drop enough here to make hot food appealing again. Even Tigger is with you on the rats. The feral ones that he has encountered have convinced him thatchasing them is fun .... from a distance. Show willing but never get close enough that you might actually have to make contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I have seen cats doing that - enthusiastically chasing the wild rat but always being very sure they never caught it!

      Delete
  5. Glad you´re back and better, too!
    Sorry for Pepper´s leaving. Hope for pics of the new family members. Do they roam free? My gerbill I could just open the door and she came up to me - didn´t hurt, not even in summer.
    Yes. Soup-time over here, too, it´s gotten cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son usually gets them out of their cage while he is working (they wander over him and his desk) - he just has to make sure the cats are not around when he does so!

      Delete
  6. Your soup sound delicious,, I may give it a try. Many years ago I remember my brother having a pet rat called Zorro. Like you I didn’t want to hold it but it was a very amusing creature. B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    It is nice to see a post from you, I am glad you are feeling better. The spring flowers are lovely, very cheerful. The soup sounds hearty, thanks for sharing the recipe! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thought of hot soup is not especially appealing just yet, with abnormally high temperatures still dominant, but those day are coming. A month from now it will be the end of September and soup will be in our minds once again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you back Margaret - yes, spring is certainly en-route, and my mini-daffodils are coming to an end after a spectacular display this year, and the later, full sized ones are opening... no sign of life on my grape yet!
    Your broth sounds wonderful - great for these damp and at times stormy days
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have missed you and am so glad to see you back. What is it about rats that you cannot touch...I would be interested to know if you know cause I am the same way. My girls had two and I just could not touch them. But they had mice and I was fine with handling them. Never could figure out why I couldn't handle the rats. I am sorry that the second one died...if you/your son are like me...even that is a hard loss. We had a squirrel for a short while and me and my daughters both cried like babies when she died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my not wanting to touch is because of the experiences I have had over the years with wild rats, possibly also the childhood belief that they carried germs. I still cried though when Pepper died.

      Delete
  11. Nice to see you back and in a better place. It sounds as though Spring is coming. The daffs are beautiful.
    Thanks for the recipe for that filling soup

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back, Margaret! You were misses!

    Sorry about the family pet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to see you're back and posting again after the little break. I hope the toilet issue is solved. Why did it take so long, I can't help wondering!
    I wonder if Pepper died of loneliness after his brother died. I've heard that this can happen.
    Those Spring flowers are beautiful. I can just imagine the scent.
    We have soup all year 'round, in fact tonight we're having onion soup. I'm not sure if my regular soup bowls can go under the broiler ( to toast the cheese that will go on the croutons).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wondered about Pepper being lonely as the light went out of his eyes after Mayo died. We have had to wait for the young ones to be old enough to collect (they are due this weekend).
      Thankfully we now have a brand new toilet up and running :) Plumbers are hard to track down as they are so busy, and builders are often not interested in small jobs so organizing and getting things to happen did take a little while. I was glad we had the portable camp-pottie, but even more glad to have a regular toilet back in action!

      Delete
  14. Your soup looks delicious, and the spring flowers look lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx