RECIPES

Wednesday 4 December 2019

Balloons And Other Things


It has been a funny old day today.  I think probably because I never slept well last night and so have been feeling tired all day.  The world around me seems to be going in slow-motion and I don’t feel that connected to it.  Early to bed tonight, me thinks!

The day began with a hot air balloon.  The neighbour’s small dog began barking continuously and then I heard the swoosh noise of the burners of the balloon.  Shot outside to have a peek and the balloon was right above the house, and very low.  I called out a good morning to the people in the basket, and received back an order for bacon-and-eggs-please for breakfast!

Balloons don’t normally fly over houses this low and it appeared like the operator was trying but not succeeding in getting it to go higher, so it was no surprise to us that it landed a couple of streets away.  There is a paddock there, which would have made a safe landing place.  It never rose again, but was eventually deflated and then presumably packed into its trailer and taken away.


Hot Air Ballooning over Hamilton in 1996

I had some urgent shopping that needed doing, so after breakfast it was into the car and off to the shops early in the hope of beating the crowds.  I succeeded to a certain extent, as I was able to find carparking where I needed it, but by the time I left at 10am the carpark was almost full to capacity.

Back home was very quiet, as son was sleeping after working all night.  I sat and completed a couple of pixel puzzles with my cup of tea, and Millie the Fluffy Cat came rubbing around my ankles.  I think she thought I should feed her, but I didn’t.  She got caught out in the rain yesterday (or perhaps she was in it on purpose) and so today her fur is all clean and shiny.  Her winter coat has gone and she looks quite pretty with her soft silky hair and fluffy tail.

I have a steak for dinner tonight, so am looking forward to that.  Just have to decide whether to have salad or steamed vegetables with it – might see how the weather goes this afternoon to see whether I am looking for something hot or wanting something cold.

Bye for now,
Margaret.

10 comments:

  1. I’ve seen a hot air balloon festival but I never see them on this island. I would love to ride in one.

    I hope you sleep well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a ride in one as well. I once went straight up and straight down in one, and that was exciting, but never for a proper trip.

      Delete
  2. Hot air balloons are so interesting but I doubt I'd have the nerve to go up in one, given the chance.
    It's nice to get out early and do whatever shopping one has to do before too many people are out.
    I'm hoping you get a better sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the next morning now, and I am happy to report I slept really well last night and feel much better. This not sleeping seems to happen sometimes, but I have no idea why.

      Delete
  3. Lucky there was a field nearby for the balloon to land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. I always get concerned when I see a balloon flying far lower than it should be.

      Delete
  4. Reminds of the time when a friend of mine (a farmer) had a hot air balloon land in one of his fields, totally unplanned of course. Some of his crop was damaged, but he didn't get upset, and the owner of the balloon returned the next day with a bottle of Champagne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not everyday that a hot air balloon is that close...I don't think I have ever seen one that close. And very few otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city here has an annual hot air balloon festival so we get to see quite a lot of them, and then we will get the odd one show up during the rest of the year. I always find them exciting :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.