RECIPES

Sunday 1 December 2019

Farewell To Northland

I returned home to Hamilton on the fifth day of my Road Trip up north, having driven 1500 kilometers by myself.  I had a marvelous time and it made some lovely memories.

I crossed from Paihia to Russell on the Opua Car Ferry, a four minute trip across the Bay but a long way round if I had tried driving.

At Russell in the Bay Of Islands
A peaceful view in Russell

Pompallier House is situated in Russell, but it was still closed when I visited (I was too early in the morning!).  It has the reputation of being New Zealand's oldest Roman Catholic building, oldest rammed earth building, and oldest industrial building (it was once used to run a printing press).

Pompallier House, Russell

The Anglican Church at Russell was established in 1836 and claims to be the oldest church in New Zealand.  Services are still held here every Sunday.

Anglican Church at Russell

Not far from Russell was Long Beach, a sleepy little cove with houses and holiday homes dotted among pohutukawa trees and nikau palms.

Long Beach, near Russell

I made the decision to travel down the east coast scenic route instead of the main highway.  The road was tar-sealed all the way but full of twists and bends - I almost felt like a rally car at times!

There were several small bays to drive past, a lot with homes, but no easy access to any of them until I reached Oakura where I found a shady tree to sit beneath and eat my lunch.

Many of the bays looked similar to this one below.

Looking out over Elliot Bay

From Oakura I headed back to the main road and straight for home, via the Northern Toll Road, the Southern Motorway, and the Waikato Expressway.  It was a long hot drive with only a few stops, and I was glad to reach home safely.

Tunnels on the Toll Road

When something offers that you would enjoy doing - just do it!
Margaret

18 comments:

  1. We loved visiting Russell and Opua. So much history there to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Amy. I could have spent longer here exploring everything.

      Delete
  2. I love that Pompallier House...and I love your 6th shot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had to count to see which photo that was! A lot of New Zealand's coastline is rugged like this, very rocky and not safe for swimming but often it is great for fishing.

      Delete
  3. How lovely that you arrived home safe and sound and with so many beautiful memories ( and photos too). I would love to see the inside of the old church at Russell. ( We named our oldest son Russell although now he goes by the shorter 'Russ'.)
    The picture of Elliot Bay is worthy of being on a calendar page! Speaking of which, have you turned your calendar page to December yet? I actually did it today, a day early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder - I had actually forgotten to change my calendar this month :)

      Delete
  4. Granny Marigold - It is December 1st here in New Zealand. Margaret - glad you had such a good trip. Pity we weren't able to meet up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time Susan I will let you know I am coming. I'd love to meet up with you :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds a wonderful trip, loved your photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you for doing this trip alone. Many women would be reluctant to do, and you obviously had a great time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you David. I used to be afraid of going places by myself, but now I reckon if I don't then I will never go anywhere or get to see anything different.

      Delete
  7. I love your attitude, Margaret. Don’t let anything hold you back.

    There weren’t many people around the areas you visited. That is the time I enjoy exploring too, without the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred spirits, Marie! Both my daughter and I love getting off the beaten track and exploring. We avoid popular tourist areas as much as we can :)

      Delete
  8. I have enjoyed so much to follow you on your trip. So much interesting and beautiful to see. It was a long trip to drive! I like your attitude, do it, when there are some you want to do and have the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is too short not to grab every opportunity as it arises - enjoy each and every day is my new philosophy!

      Delete
  9. More beautiful photos! Loved hearing about your adventure

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx