RECIPES

Monday 17 October 2022

Cheese Scones

 

I got to make my Cheese Scones the other day and we both enjoyed them for our lunch.  I was asked if I had a recipe, so we had them again so I could take photographs!

It is not an exact recipe (that is, measurements don’t have to be exact), and this amount is to serve two of us.  If there are more people, I just double or treble the amounts involved.


Ready to eat


First of all, preheat your oven to 210/220 degrees Celsius.  Scones need a very hot oven to cook in.

Into a large bowl, place 1 cup of white flour, ¼ cup cornflour (I think it is called maize starch in some countries?), a pinch of cayenne pepper, and 2 tsp of baking powder.

Grate in about 50g (around 2oz) of cheddar cheese and roughly rub it in with a pastry cutter or your fingertips (it won’t go crumb-like as it does when you rub in butter, as cheese is much harder).


Ready to add milk


Mix in some milk, usually around ½ cup, adding it gradually until the dough comes together in a soft ball.

Turn out onto a floured board, flatten the dough and cut into pieces.

Place on an oven tray (I don’t grease it) and sprinkle a little more cheese over the top.

Bake for about 12 minutes in a very hot oven until scones have risen and are turning golden on top.


Ready to cook


This is my recipe, tweaked over the years to give a result that our family likes – I hope you enjoy them as well 😊

Margaret.

 

18 comments:

  1. That pastry looks just so fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I believe it is called Corn Starch here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love cheese scones - and these look amazing Margaret.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your biscuits look delicious. I must try adding some corn starch next time I make scones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to sample your cheese scones!!
    Thanks for the recipe. It's different, cheese and no butter. Must try it

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I lived close by I would knock on your door and beg shamelessly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make cheese scones too. Love them with a bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't be cause I can not eat gluten. but you eat a couple, for me. -smile-

    🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, ship those to me immediately! Ha ha, I'll be trying that recipe this week, thanks for sharing. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids used to say Mum's scones weren't too bad if you got them hot with lots of butter but that was generous. My mother once watched me prepare them and told me I "worried" them too much, like a rogue sheep dog. I do love a good scone though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These scones look so delicious! I'm going to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They sound yummy. I’m going to give these a go thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. your scones looking soooo good, for some reason I just can't make them, btw I love your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fabulous and delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    Abdel | Infinitely Posh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, these sound delicious...I don't have the corn starch or I would be tempted to make them now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhhh, thank you!!! That sounds easy to do and looks so yummy!!! (Bet Ingo won´t like it, but I have cheese that needs to go! :-) On the hunt for that corn flower - or can you take coconut flower? I have that!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about this Iris, and I'm not so sure. You are probably best to just replace it with normal white flour.

      Delete
  17. I love to make cheese scones and ...to eat them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx