RECIPES

Thursday 20 October 2022

A Town Full Of Sunshine

 

Whakatane is a town in the eastern Bay of Plenty, about two and a half hours driving from Hamilton, and has the reputation of being one of the sunniest places in New Zealand.

A friend asked if I wanted to go there with her on Tuesday and stay the night before coming home yesterday.  Yes, I would love to!

It is many years since I travelled through Whakatane and I have never actually stayed there before, although I have stayed at nearby Ohope.


Looking down over Ohope


Whakatane was a pleasant surprise.  What a lovely friendly town – it appears to provide everything a busy city does while still retaining the feeling of a laid-back country town.


In the heart of downtown Whakatane


We did some touring around, including an obligatory visit to see the iconic Lady On The Rock near the mouth of the Whakatane River.  The statue was unveiled in 1965 to celebrate the bravery of Wairaka.

The story goes that when the first Maori waka (canoe) arrived here, the men went ashore to explore and left the women in the canoe.  When it began to drift back to sea, Wairaka defied the tapu (law) that forbade women from handling the waka and grabbed a paddle to bring them back to shore. 

As she did so, she called out “Kia Whakatane au I ahau” (meaning, “I will act the part of a man”) and that is how the area got its name.


The Lady on the Rock


The town’s other claim to fame is having volcanic White Island on its doorstep.


White Island on the horizon


Before we left yesterday we visited Te Wairere Falls, a hidden gem that we almost missed.  This stunning multi-step waterfall drops 22 metres and is hidden among beautiful bush that was full of tui song.  

We could hear the waterfall when we left the car and it was barely a minute or two of walking to reach it.


The top of the waterfall


I had difficulty fitting it all into the photo frame!


The bottom half of the waterfall


On our way home we made a stop at the shopping centre at Tauriko.  I have never been here before and was amazed to see how many shops were based there.

A couple of hours later and I came out with two new tops, a dress, and a sunfrock.  I was one happy shopper!

Have a great day everyone 😊

Margaret.

 

17 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful day, Margaret. So many favourite things in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely trip. I have only been to Whakatane once and that was many years ago and we missed that lovely waterfall. Had not heard of Tauriko and, on looking it up, I see it is a new suburb of Tauranga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the city is spreading. Tauriko used to be a tiny village at the foot of the Kaimai Ranges, now there are houses and industries and this huge shopping centre.

      Delete
  3. What a nice outing for you! The view of the water is stunning, I could watch the waves all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful excursion Margaret - I must look out for those falls next time I am over that way... it's been a while.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have been an unexpected but very fun treat. The town looks interesting and the waterfall looks amazing. Top it all off with successful shopping and it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful area and I too would have jumped at the chance for an overnighter. I might have skipped the shopping though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember many many years ago when Whakatane sold it's sunshine. You could buy a tin of if and take it home 😂 I had a tin of it for years. Never opened it though to see if any was inside.
    As for Tauriko, boy that must have changed. My brother used to live out there
    Lovely trip and shopping

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story about the woman and oh, sounds like a wonderful time! Would love to go shopping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting story about how Whakatane got its name. Beautiful area and loved the waterfall pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brave and wise lady!!! WHY sit there and be taken back out to sea, because of a silllllly men's rule????!!!!

    Hooray for a fun holiday!!!!!!

    🍁🌰🌻🍂🎃🍂🌻🌰🍁

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soooo glad to hear you being so perky again!!!!!!!!

    Lots and lots of gentle hugs

    🍁🌰🌻🍂🎃🍂🌻🌰🍁

    ReplyDelete
  12. My partner B is from Whakatane, he was born and raised there, having lived in Tauranga for 3 years we visited there a few times, I actually really like the town, i could've quite easily lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only been to Whakatane a few times and have always enjoyed the visits. I really love the raw, unspoilt beauty of the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Margaret, for some unknown reason I keep going Anonymous.

      Delete
  14. It looks like a very nice trip, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful place, thank you for your sharing your photos of your visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.