RECIPES

Sunday 6 February 2022

Pot Luck Dinner and Other Things

 

Last night I was invited to a potluck dinner, where each person contributes a plate or two of something for the meal.  I took Savoury Eggs (sometimes called Devilled Eggs, but mine are sweeter) as my dish and was most happy to see them all get eaten.

(I will let you into a little secret – I hate taking a plate somewhere and having it only get picked over or ignored and then end up bringing a whole lot home again – it makes you feel like a failure somehow).




During the morning yesterday, Son and I watched a replay of the Opening Ceremony of the 2022 Winter Olympics at Beijing.  The live coverage was at 1am, so a bit early for us!

I was very impressed with the light show at the beginning, as it was quite spectacular.

This photo shows the New Zealand contingent entering the stadium.  We first sent a team to the Winter Olympics in 1952 and have only ever won three medals – a silver in 1982 and two bronzes in 2018.




The Ceremony wrapped up with the obligatory fireworks display after the Olympic torch had been lit.




We are meant to have rain today – which we are becoming in desperate need of – but so far there has only been sporadic bursts of light drizzle.  Even the other side of the city has been getting more than us!

But I am not complaining.  The cloud cover, the air moisture, and the cool wind, are all combining to keep the temperatures down into the low twenties (Celsius) which is much nicer than what we have experienced recently.

It is also a long weekend here, with Waitangi Day being a public holiday.  It is not something that we observe with anything special, although some regard it as our National Day, because it has become too associated with protests and Treaty of Waitangi settlements. 

Being of European descent, it unfortunately appears to now have little relevance to our lives although we used to celebrate it as a time to remember and be proud of our country.  How times change.

Wishing everyone a Happy Weekend 😊

Margaret.

 

WOOHOO! I just had to add this on (4.30pm):  New Zealand just won it's very first Gold Medal at the Winter Olympics 🥇😄

Well done, Zoi.  Congratulations from all of us!




RECIPE FOR SAVOURY EGGS

Hard boil several eggs and peel and cut in half when they are cool.  Mash the yolks with salt and pepper and bind them with some salad dressing.  I use Condensed Milk Salad Dressing, a popular retro-kiwi salad cream.  Spoon the yolk back into the whites and press down lightly to hold it in place.  Serve them on a platter and decorate as desired.

Condensed Milk Salad Dressing: put 1 tsp dry mustard powder in a jug and add ¼ cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar).  Whisk together to dissolve the mustard.  Pour in a 395g can of sweetened condensed milk (must be genuine condensed milk, not palm oil) and stir until it is mixed together and become thick.  Store in a lidded container in the fridge, where it will last for a few weeks.



14 comments:

  1. Good to have a cooler day. Only the odd shower here so far but high humidity. According to my phone it is 27 degrees feels like 29 degrees. Hot and muggy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about bringing a contribution to a pot-luck meal and having to take it home with little eaten. It's not a great feeling. I've never made devilled eggs. I like how you arranged them on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't think that secret is all your own. We all fear rejection of our contribution to 'ladies a plate please'. Well done that woman Olympian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had some good rain here Margaret... hope it reaches you too. So thrilled to hear the news of the 'gold'!
    Yes, I hate the 'rejection' of taking a 'plate' home with the contents still on it... especially when there was just me to have to eat it!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have your rain, we live in a dry part of the UK, so we are happy to see rain. If I am going to a potluck meal, I am always asked to make a quiche, nice and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to the NZ athlete. A proud moment for the country! The sweetness in the eggs would be unusual but interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to.ask if you saw Zoi! She was amazing! And I loved how all the girls were so happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved how they all group-hugged afterwards as well. So great to see :)

      Delete
  8. I was going to wish you a Happy Waitangi Day, because my calendar has it on today and tomorrow. And you already mentioned it.

    Too bad it has become a flash-point for trouble.

    Congratulations on the Gold!

    Ahhh yes, we all fear rejection. In any form. Guess if we (*magically*) had enough self confidence, such things would not be able to effect us. But people with that much self confidence are few and far between as the old saying goes.

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waitangi Day is 6 February, which is when we always observed it, but the holiday to go with it has now been Mondayized, so today (the 7th, and a Monday) is a public holiday.
      And the rain finally reached us, so I am Dancing In The Rain!! :)

      Delete
  9. I love savoury eggs . My family here does too. They're always a treat. That salad dressing recipe took me right back to my childhood. Haven't made it in ages. Must do so!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful, Linda - that dressing can be very addictive! LOL Mxx

      Delete
  10. Wasn't it great to see the competitors all celebrating Zoi's run. Perhaps because they're all young the awful competitiveness and 'professionalism' hasn't taken hold yet? Perhaps! Hylander SCM salad dressing was a feature of my childhood too - but we always put in half a tin of malt vinegar, (as well as the mustard powder) which probably helped it keep longer. Then, before we served it, we thinned it with more milk - and perhaps another tablespoon of vinegar. Oh MY, that has brought back memories! I might have to make some!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for gold medals! I think Australia has one too. when I made devilled eggs for my ex many years ago, they always had to have cayenne pepper or chilli powder in them, the hotter the better. Since the divorce about 25 years ago, I haven't made them even once.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx