RECIPES

Tuesday 15 February 2022

Four Lakes In One Day

 

On Sunday our city of Hamilton was hammered with severe gale-force winds from the remnant of Cyclone Dovi.  On my way out of the city this morning, it was clear to see how much damage had been caused – trees blown down, large and small branches lying everywhere, and leaves in piles larger than appear in autumn.

The Council has been moving through to make sure road and path access was available, and the debris has been left to be cleared away when they can.  Quite sobering to see, but thankfully there was not more damage or injuries caused.


Fitzgerald Glade, on the road to Rotorua


For my February get-out-of-the-city excursion, I headed for Rotorua.  All of this area was once a prime tourist destination, and it was sad to see how many businesses were shut (but hopefully not closed down completely) during this covid time.  It must be such a struggle for some of them to survive.

My first stop was Lake Rotorua in the heart of the city, where I sat for a while and watched seagulls, cormorants, coots, mallards and black swans.


Lake Rotorua, with some of the city in the background


Then it was on to Lake Tikitapu (usually called the Blue Lake), a pretty crater lake that is popular with swimmers and water skiers alike.  I went for a paddle along its pebbly shoreline and found the water pleasantly warm, and was thrilled to see a little tomtit flitting among the trees (sometimes I think I need to buy myself a good camera!).


One corner of the Blue Lake


At Lake Tarawera there was a tree waiting for a little car to park beneath its shady canopy – the perfect spot to enjoy a picnic lunch while enjoying the peace and quiet.


Stoney Point Reserve at Lake Tarawera 


A drive to the end of the road showed an amazing number of houses clustered together like a long strung-out village in this semi-isolated spot, each with a view of the mountain and the lake.  I imagine many are most definitely well outside my price range!


Mount Tarawera across the lake (it last erupted in 1886)


Heading back into Rotorua, a short detour took me to Lake Okareka.  Not as popular as Lake Tarawera, it nevertheless still had a significant number of homes built along some of its shoreline.

At the end of this road there was a Department of Conservation campsite, and several campervans and a couple of tents were in evidence.


On the shores of Lake Okareka


The drive home took around 90 minutes and included several lots of road works.  At one spot, my poor little car had to negotiate melted tarseal with only a thin layer of rough metal spread over it – I was afraid much of it would stick beneath the car but I think very little actually did.

I am so thankful I am able to make these little monthly excursions to different places.

I would recommend it to everyone! 😊

Margaret.

 

23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos of sunshine and warmth ((sigh)) !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all very beautiful, Margaret. I am glad that the cyclone didn't cause any serious damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blue waters and sky are good for the soul. Even the harbour here is white. I am thankful for the reminder of summer, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A monthly excursion sounds like it would be perfect for me. I sure enjoy yours. The pictures are so.inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in a beautiful part of the world Margaret
    In South West England today we have had almost constant rain, and the day feels dismal. My cat Milo is not a fan of rain, and is most put out that he cannot enjoy a dry promenade
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie and Mittens will sit at the door and frown at the rain outside. They are not fans either! :)

      Delete
  6. That was a lovely outing. I like Rotorua, the lake, the smell, the park. Actually all those lakes are nice to visit,watch the wildlife and humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people like that sulphurous smell LOL
      I find I usually adjust to it fairly quickly and don't smell it any longer :)

      Delete
  7. Your excursion sounds delightful and the lakes are so inviting. All your pictures speak of SUMMER
    ( well, they would, wouldn't they!!!) and I'm looking forward to more pleasant weather.
    Good thing none of that icky tarseal stuck to your car.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Volcanoes and craters... Somehow I don't think of your country and those things. But, I guess there are more of such, than I know of. My limited knowledge!

    Lovely to get away and see different things. Yesssss!!!!!

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Zealand is full of volcanoes (mostly inactive, but not all) and we experience frequent earthquakes to go with them. A bit of a shaky country!!

      Delete
  9. Looks very peaceful. Not a lot of people there? Nice to have a place like those all to yourself... ( or with only family...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of houses around where we visited but not many people in sight. I rather enjoy having a place virtually to myself :)

      Delete
  10. What a lovely outing. Rotorua is a great place to explore, the smell never bothers me for long either. So sad to hear how tough life is for the businesses that rely on tourism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the closed places rather disturbing. You hear about the hardships some face but until you actually see or experience it, it doesn't seem to sink in much (sad to say).

      Delete
  11. Beautiful lakes, the photos are fantastic. I especially loved the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful blue skies and water...picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by again to say.....

    😏😏 My Icon is not me! 😏😏

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lakes are beautiful. I'm "across the ditch" in Australia and would love to visit NZ one day, but would have to win the lottery first. My brother has been, a few years ago now, he told me how beautiful it all is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such pretty lakes! Your scenery is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I would love to sit at that lake there, too.
    And oh, the one with sand.... if warm enough I´d be in.
    I only travel through blogs these days and this was a beautiful trip, thank you for sharing! Here it´s cold and very stormy (for Germany and being in the city).

    ReplyDelete
  17. We lived right at the end of Spencer Road at Lake Tarawera for some 25 years, A beautiful area, but when we bought the bare section, covered in scrub and probably some gorse, prices were affordable.We built a large( by the sizes in 1974) Lockwood house, now it would be one of the smaller ones. We were there towards the end of December, a real trip down memory lane, the road was still as narrow and winding, the mountain as beautiful, you need to be there on a frosty winter afternoon and see it change from dark brown to a stunning deep pink.I hope you are safe in Hamilton, down here in the Rangitikei, we have positive case numbers rising every day now. Greetings, Jean.,

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.