RECIPES

Friday 5 November 2021

Escaping The City

 

For the first time in several weeks, I was able yesterday to leave Hamilton City boundaries.  We are still not allowed to leave our Waikato Level Three Lockdown area, but are able to travel if we stay within that area.

The day started out with brilliant sunshine, and the sea along the Raglan coast reflected the blues in the sky and made an absolutely beautiful scene to gaze out at (can you tell I love the ocean?).




First stop was at Te Toto Gorge lookout.  It was so quiet and peaceful here, with lovely views up and down the coast. 

The lookout itself was a little scary though, as the platform was built out over the cliff edge – not a safe-feeling place for those of us who are not so fond of being at heights!




Most of the road was gravel (not sealed), with the occasional cattlestop to negotiate.  This road winds along the coast as it skirts Mount Kariori.

I loved seeing all the birds in this coastal rural area.  There were an abundance of yellowhammers, tuis, magpies, kingfishers, and one thrilling sighting of my favourite kereru (wood pigeon), as well as the odd other bird to be seen (including turkeys).




Ruapuke Beach was next on the itinerary, but it was only a short stop as the wind was getting quite strong and blustery so it wasn’t that nice.

The waves were great to watch though, especially when the wind caught the tops and blew the spray backwards.




The last place visited was Bridal Veil Falls.  These 55 metre high falls are a spectacular sight and good viewing points can be had from near the top.

It is possible to walk to the base if wished, but it is a very steep climb back up again.  I have only done this once, and that would be 50 years ago! 

There was no proper pathway then, just a muddy track to negotiate while making ungraceful grabs at branches and roots to stop oneself from sliding down the bank.

Now it has become a tourist attraction, and there is sealed road access, wide well-formed tracks, and proper viewing points.  So much more civilized!




It was great to get out into the countryside again, even if only for a short time.  Now that summer is approaching and our lockdown conditions are easing a little, hopefully I can be doing more of this.

Sometimes our souls need a bit of time out 😊

Margaret.

 

 


14 comments:

  1. Great that you were able to get a day out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you your walk in this beautiful area with its abundant birds. I would love to set up my telescope and scan the ocean for pelagic species too. I hope that you are able to continue making these forays outside the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time out as you’ve described keeps us sane here, especially during lockdown.

    What a gorgeous area. A great place for a wander. The falls is as beautiful as its name. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful, all. Which is the most beautiful? The ocean or the falls? A tie, for sure.

    so glad your "Gestapo," are *allowing* you some movement.

    Truly, such non-freedom-to-move-about, is terrifying.

    -sigh-

    "Let's go Brandon"
    🍁 🌰 🌻 🍂 🍁 🌰 🌻 🍂 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  5. An addition... We could get in our car and keep driving.............

    Not that at our age, we want to.

    But!

    We could!

    One good point, for my nearly all *Woke* Country.

    So farrrrrrrrrrrrr....

    "Let's go Brandon"
    🍁 🌰 🌻 🍂 🍁 🌰 🌻 🍂 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need a day out like this...I bet it did feel wonderful to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful part of the world in which to take a wander, Margaret. I'm glad I visited the Bridal Veil Falls when I was young and fit enough to venture to the bottom of the falls. Next time I'm down Raglan way (goodness knows when that will be!) I'll look for that road along the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That little platform built out over the edge of the cliff would NOT be for me. I have no head for heights at all! You sure had a lovely day for the outing though. Bridal Veil Falls are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Margaret, I felt as though I was there with you, the way that you described everything. Our coastlines are so beautiful. The sunset over the Waitakere ranges tonight, is making up for lockdown, in West Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos! It must have been great to get out on a trip like that. We really need that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That second picture gives me goosebumps. It is beautiful, but I am so afraid of heights. The waterfall is amazing. I can't imagine hiking there and hanging on to roots and trees to keep from slipping. That would have been scary. You visit the most beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were a bit young and foolish in those days :))

      Delete
  12. So beautiful there I would have enjoyed that Ocean view for hours! So fun to get out!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely to be able to get out to the coast - i love Raglan, but have not really gone much beyond the great metropolis... it looks as though you had a wonderful refreshing trip!!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.