RECIPES

Tuesday 18 April 2023

Think About It

 

Call me old if you will, but I remember when our supermarkets phased out paper bags and introduced us to plastic ones.  The reason was because all the paper bags being used was an unsustainable and pointless use of a valuable resource, namely trees.

Fast forward to today.  With concern for our environment, our government has enacted laws that phased out our using plastic carry bags for our groceries.  We all duly bought our own bags to use (mine are made of hard-wearing canvas).

That is fine, but it hasn’t decreased my use of plastic bags.  Now, instead of recycling the plastic bag as a rubbish bag I purchase plastic bags to use as rubbish bags. 

Produce bags were next in the firing line, but most supermarkets still give you plastic bags to put your fruit and vegetables into.  Our local supermarket has just returned to the paper bag system – a beautiful thick brown paper bag to place one broccoli into.  It seems such a waste.

Of course, I could avoid using the paper bags and buy the produce already packaged up – in plastic bags!


Can you imagine a world without trees?


Plastic is not good for our environment.  There is no argument with that.  But sustainability is also important.  Humans have a sad history of raping their world, using a natural resource until it is no longer viable.  We are still doing this, from mining minerals to catching fish to impoverishing our soils.

I think it is incredibly sad when one sees how creatures of this world can suffer because of human greed and pollution, but realistically I can also realise that if we continue to use trees to provide throw-away paper products than our whole earth is going to suffer (remember that trees are one of the major producers of oxygen on the planet).

Is there an answer to this dilemma?  I really don’t know.

We could all return to growing our own fruit and vegetables, using a basket when we go shopping, only buying things in glass that can be recycled and reused.  But that isn’t feasible in our society today, as it is not just groceries that use plastic. 

We are too consumer driven and our markets are too global.  Plastic is everywhere.  Our whole civilisation depends upon it.


Our Earth is strong, but it is also very fragile


On a personal level, I think it is good that we each do as much as we can to protect our personal environment, but our efforts are infinitesimal in the big scheme of things.

Nothing is really going to change until the big corporations and the world’s governments unite together to change the whole lifestyle of the people they rule over.

Can you see that happening in the near future, or ever? 

It makes you think, doesn’t it?

Margaret 😊

 

22 comments:

  1. F has light cotton bags (that she made out of some remnants) to put the brocoli (and all other fruit / veg) nto but seldom finds anything not already plastic wrapped here in UK. The use of plastic is a yravesty and is also used to hide some very indifferent produce at times. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are most definitely often used to hide indifferent produce! That is why I much prefer to pick my own out of the bin :) xx

      Delete
  2. Instead of plastic or paper bags I have several reusable bags for fruit, vegetables and baked items made from old net curtains. The cashier can see what is inside them and they can be easily washed. It was a friend from NZ who gave them to me. Helen in France

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, I really like that idea :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I made a number of them for our fruit and vegies. Mind you, I don't put much in bags: why put bananas in a bag? A !ettuce? Or even potatoes? I only use bags for small items like beans. I wash all fruit and veg before use, so don't understand the need for a bag.

      Delete
  3. Yes, certainly food for thought - I have been recycling for as long as I can remember, before it was anything like as 'popular' as it is today - my daughter calls me an original greenie!! Gardening and composting as well as using any recycle facilities available. Bottling and preserving food from my own garden as much as possible also, although that has gone by the book at the moment.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do a lot of bottling and preserving back in the day, but not any more. Life was much simpler then and (being rural) we didn't even have a rubbish collection!

      Delete
  4. My wife has made a whole series of produce bags for us out of old lace curtains and the like and we take them with us to the store. They weigh next to nothing and that is what we put our produce in, and we also take our own bags to carry everything home. You can eliminate plastic bags entirely if you have the will do do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen above suggests the same thing. Its a great idea - but I still have to buy plastic bags for my rubbish :(

      Delete
    2. We get rid of our trash without using plastic bags. What did you do before plastic?

      Delete
    3. I'd love to know how you wrap your trash up. We used to wrap everything in the daily newspaper and then put it in the metal rubbish bin. Councils got rid of the metal bins and switched to large black plastic bags and then to hard plastic recycle bins. Our rubbish is still required to be wrapped in some way. Newspapers are a rarity now and we certainly don't have one delivered daily. On the farm we burnt most of what wasn't compostable, and the glass etc was thrown down an offal hole. Thinking back, we didn't have as much rubbish in those days either - e.g., bread was delivered without any wrapping whatsoever (I can remember when they started putting a band of paper around it and that was where you were meant to hold it). People didn't worry so much about germs in those days!

      Delete
  5. The world's governments unite...? Can't see that happening any time in the future. We pay a few cents now for plastic bags in the supermarket and I buy one now and again when I forget the cloth bag. We need them for rubbish too or have to buy bags. A lot more things do come in paper bags now, bread, vegetables. Some plastic bags here are biodegradable. They disintegrate after a couple of months

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our supermarket tried biodegradable bags - they disintegrate when wet, and with the supermarket constantly spraying produce with a mist of water to keep it fresh, the bags were not very successful!

      Delete
  6. Cardboard boxes. Amazon seems to use boxes 4x's bigger than they need to. We have boxes piled up in the garage and we are just one on millions of households.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly in France Amazon now send your items in the smallest packet possible. Gone are the days of collecting useful sized boxes. Helen in France

      Delete
  7. I'm also having to buy plastic bags for garbage now and somehow it seems we are not really dealing with the plastic problem. Not sure what the answer is. I may sew some net bags to use for produce. That's about all I can think of doing. GM

    ReplyDelete
  8. What craziness!
    We had and have plastic and they added paper-bags - for free. You can also chose "blank" for fruit and veggies but meat...
    We separate plastic from glass, paper, compost just to learn it goes into one container and off to China (maybe just one stupid example - I hope!)
    Why do people throw "rubbish" away?
    Places you can bring your own containers to - great idea - more expensive and it was more than once revealed they cheat.

    I don´t think there is an answer.

    Or a solution. As long as big players don´t join it makes not much difference what we do (but a bit!)
    😊 xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the difference between plastics these days and back then is these days the plastic is classed as soft, meaning they break down alot more easily. I don't get the issue of paper bags though, that seems to be no better and cuts down trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with all you've said...thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've tried to move to glass, as they say here it's more recycled than plastic. I do try to take my own bags for groceries, and when I have an option, I ask for paper so I can save them to start fires in the winter. We drop off recycling, which has greatly reduced our trash, but they don't require is to separate it...it's all dumped into one big bin, making me wonder what really happens to it. Absolutely...there must be a united front.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a thought provoking post, Margaret. I have one plastic bag from the days they used them in supermarkets. It stays in my suitcase for my shoes when I travel. I tried those biodegradable bags for kitchen waste - yuk! What a mess! Then I tried wrapping and putting everything into the large plastic bag for refuse collection. But I don't get enough newspapers to keep that up. I don't know what else to try. I think you could be right. We'll have to wait for big players to get their acts together. And hell could freeze over before that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, I forgot to add my name. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mandatory switch from paper to plastic never made much sense to me. Discontinuing plastic (unless you want to pay for it) didn't make much sense either, although I could see the damage from plastic bags. Much like you, we recycled our plastic bags we used to get at the grocery store (when they were free) by using them as our trash bags. Now we have to buy trash bags. Net gain for the environment? Zero. Which is about how much I believe that large corporations and the world's governments will come together and enact meaningful solutions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx