RECIPES

Wednesday 12 April 2023

Morally Wrong?

 

It seems to be a common theme of conversation these days about how our societal standards are slipping.

Terms such as decency and integrity are disappearing along with keeping your promise.

A good friend of the family organises events for a group he belongs to.  He found a suitable venue for one event and booked it just over one year in advance, as well as paying a substantial deposit to secure it.

Now he has been told, through an email full of apologies and excuses, that he cannot have the venue – basically because a larger organisation has come along and wants to book the place for a longer period of time.

“Your deposit will be refunded in full” and “We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause” doesn’t really help the situation.




On the home front, son has been building more built-in bookcases (he is a bibliophile!) and is currently staining the wood.  It smells awful while he is doing it, but thankfully that soon disappears when you open up a couple of windows.

Our weather is still unsettled, with the odd rumble of thunder about.  Currently, it is overcast and rather dreary.  Both cats have the right idea - they are curled up and sleeping!

Always do the right thing 😊

Margaret.

 

11 comments:

  1. Building more bookshelves is an honourable activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating for the organiser - it's basically a case of 'money talks'...yet again! i.e. it boils down to greed.
    What a great project - the biggest thing I had to downsize when I sold the house was the library - it hurt
    Yes, cats certainly know when to just curl up and sleep
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having booked a few events back in the day, I can imagine how frustrated your friend is. Now he has the additional stress of finding a new venue on very short notice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I get older my bookshelves in the loft are gradually getting fewer and fewer books on them. Having said that I am finding it very difficult to dispose of books these days - even to charity/op shops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There should be a refund of more than the deposit to enable to disenfranchised group to get something else at shorter notice - at least that would demonstrate some goodwill and genuine apology from the business that chose profit over integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ye gods and little fishes if that happened in our house there would be fireworks. You just can't do that - or you can it seems. 'Deposit refunded in full?' Plus compensation for being a*+$#holes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stain has an awful smell, I agree. Luckily the weather is still such that you can have windows open.
    Greed also has an awful smell. Sadly there's not much a person can do about it. GM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recently my daughter and I were talking about how it seems manners and thinking of others seems to be a thing of the past...it makes me so sad. I remember having my son in a carrier and my daughter in a stroller and people going through doors ahead of me and just letting the door close in my face...very few times would someone hold it open when my hands were full. So sad: profit over promises...it's just wrong. The second organization should have been told the date/time wasn't available...feel free to look at other open days/times. I think it's all about money these days...you're spot on: Just do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’d definitely be ringing the proper authorities. Pretty sure they can’t just cancel a contract
    I’d definitely be looking into some sort of compensation. At least the interest on the money they have had in their possession all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The smell of wood stain doesn't compare with that of greed. I realize it can be hard for lots of businesses to make a profit but what good can it be without integrity?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, Margaret, I'm back to my old tricks going anonymous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx