RECIPES

Thursday 13 April 2023

A Little Bit Of What You Like

 

There is a shop in Hamilton that sells quality home-made chocolate fudge.  I met up with some family members there this morning, and before we went to morning tea together I bought myself half a dozen pieces.

With so much “healthy” advice floating around these days, and the current fashion for making sugar a major culprit in ill health, I had to think twice before I bought the fudge.

I mentioned to the sales lady that it was my Little Guilty Treat, and she said there was nothing wrong with enjoying something you loved.  Her husband had recently suffered a heart attack which had brought them to the realisation of how short life actually is. 

She told me that when it comes down to it, whether you enjoy an occasional little treat or not will make absolutely no difference to the final outcome of your life.

It put me in mind of my own grandfather.  He loved cake and enjoyed a slice most days.  One of his favourite sayings was “a little bit of what you like never did you any harm.”  

He must have known something because he lived a reasonably healthy life until he passed away at the age of 90 years.




I think the secret is to stick to the “little” – to be moderate in our indulgence and not overdo things.  I intend to limit my fudge to one piece a day and thoroughly enjoy it each time.

We should never feel guilty when taking pleasure in something we enjoy.  Don’t you agree?

Margaret 😊

 

15 comments:

  1. Agree. My father always said take everything in moderation - he meant the ugly stuff too (take some time out from the hard work and drudgery and do some of what you love). 'Balance' is the objective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sometimes you need something bad to happen to understand how precious life is.
    Yet I was so disappointed to not hear Ingo brush his teeth come 04:00 am today (bathroom is right next to the bedroom) but, out of worries found him in his room. Smoking his pipe.
    Are you right and it´s but a little treat? in 4C? At the open window?
    You have me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum said the same as your grandad, as I read your words I could hear her voice. When our daughters were little I was always fussing and cleaning them, she would say ' a bit of dirt never killed anyone'. Oh how I miss her words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree - if we stuck to what we are told is 'healthy', so many of life's little pleasures would be culled, and we would be existing, not living! That fudge looks amazing - enjoy it to the max.
    Your Grandfathers advice is some I heard a lot growing up, and also the adage of "all things in moderation" from a family friend.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the biggest thing about Little Guilty Treats, based on what I have seen, is that people tend to have many little guilty treats, and often indulge many of them each day.....so just one little piece of fudge, just two scoops of ice cream, a small slice of cake, one square of chocolate.......and so it goes. It seems to me, somehow, that if you have to justify the food and rationalize its consumption, you shouldn't be eating it. It is not for nothing you term it a GUILTY treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. You have no idea how much I struggle with this. I eat dark chocolate every day and sometimes feel that I need to cut back. It's really the only thing I adore, and the type I eat is so "clean" it squeaks. No sugar or artificial stuff in it. It's divine.
    Thank you for giving me a new perspective. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you! Everyone needs to get out and enjoy a little indulgence once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fudge. Our English neighbours used to bring us some every summer. Thank goodness they've stopped that. I could never stop at just one piece

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Yes. I very much agree with your Grandfather's philosophy. I enjoy sweet treats and I'm fortunate to have children/grands that "help" me eat what I make so I don't eat it all myself. *smile*
    Re: the Gladys Taber books. They're probably all out of print by now but thrift stores are a good place to look for them. Also Amazon, of course. Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything in moderation is a good motto!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Margaret- I do enjoy Pineapple Donuts, Apple Turnovers with Cream and Cheese Cake...my Mum use to say: "It is alright to have a little bit of everything in moderation"....life is good with a little treat. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do have a problem with moderation in the foods I like. I've always heard that when you get older your appetite goes away . . . I'm wondering how old I have to get before that happens, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks good and yes you should take the time to enjoy things you like:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, definitely... and I agree with you... in moderation and with pleasure.
    I like chocolate and cake.
    Have fun snacking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx