RECIPES

Friday 29 April 2022

A Walk By The Lake

 

I went for a morning stroll beside Hamilton Lake this morning (officially named Lake Rotoroa, but we always call it Hamilton Lake).

It was meant to be sunny – in fact, the weather forecast said it actually was sunny at the time – but a high cloud cover hid the sun and made the day rather dull.  Sometimes the forecasters don’t get it right!




Being school holidays, there were a lot of families and people out walking and using the playgrounds.  

Most of the bird life had taken to the water to avoid all the activity, and I thought these Canada Geese looked attractive as they cruised around.




Quite a few Australian Coots live in this area and obviously get very used to people.  Several of them came to within a couple of metres of me without any trepidation whatsoever. 

I especially love the feet of these birds as they are so different to any other bird we have here.




I like the way the City Council has decorated these public conveniences with Maori motifs. 

Public facilities are much needed but are often very utilitarian, so making them more attractive is a “well-done” in my book.




May your day be a happy one 😊

Margaret.


14 comments:

  1. Great to see some of the birds there. The feet on the coot are so unusual. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very fine toilet block indeed. For something that everyone alive needs such facilities are all too rare znd usually horrible. We have coots in Northern Europe too, and we love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always known it as Hamilton Lake too. Loving your photos of the wildlife, and the loos! I went across to Te Kuiti today, and encountered a bank of cloud around Te Awamutu area, that was still there this afternoon, but other than that it was fine and clear, so the cloud was quite localised.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy, one would expect correct forcasts these days!
    Oh! Never saw feet like that!
    Beautiful public toilets - one just also expects them to be clean - which counts for most I "visited" in Australia, sadly here they are very rare and clean...hmm, better try to make it home!
    Also... they cost money here - a shame when they are not clean.

    Do you know the book "Aussie Loos with Views" by fellow blogger Red?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am exuding pride as I see that CANADA Geese have made it all the way to New Zealand! As you point out, public washrooms are essential so why not make them attractive?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you used a tree to frame the other trees in that first shot! I think the coot's feet are the strangest of all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your area is so beautiful and it does look like a great day to be outside on a pleasant walk. The feet on that bird are in deed very different. I wonder why . . . because God gives us what we need, web feet are great for birds that swim, so I feel like those feet have a purpose to do with the birds environment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know the correct name for Hamilton Lake. It's a lovely place for a walk, especially seeing those coots with the very interesting feet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Coots are such an interesting bird...

    Yes, making those necessities, pleasing to the eye, is a lovely idea...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those little bird feet are cute...what a fun walk it must have been. So nice to get out and enjoy it, especially if your temperatures are getting a bit cooler. I think about you each time I watch an episode of Brokenwood Mysteries...a favorite of mine, right now watching them all over again and anxious for the new season. Enjoy the upcoming weekend! Mary (PS...my cake is all gone, will have to make another!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There sure are alot of Maori motifs these days throughout NZ but its good, I think we need more, I've never seen that bird ether and it has unusual looking feet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Despite the weather, you got some great shots. Love the coot's feet. I've never managed to get that close to one. They may not be as regal as the Canadian geese but they are delightful little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely feet on those Coots - designed by God on a good day! And I agree, those public toilets are a cut above the usual, boring ones, and come to think of it, probably will avoid being covered in graffiti as a result!

    May your day be happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always curious as to what birds and wildlife are in different parts of the world compared to ours. In the case of the Canada goose and Coot, they are exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx