RECIPES

Sunday 10 April 2022

Visiting My Cousin

 

My Cousin G was recently in hospital with a life-threatening issue, but is now home again.  She is frail and needs assistance when walking, but is doing alright.

I had made arrangements to visit her and her husband this afternoon, planning to travel there in the company of her sister, my Cousin M.

Then, around lunch time, I got a call from Cousin M to say that she herself had just been admitted to hospital with possible pneumonia.

I guess my family is getting to be of an age when things like this will happen more and more frequently, but I hope this will be the last one for a while.


A family gathering in the 1960s


I went ahead with my visit and had some happy time with Cousin G and her husband.  Cousin A and his wife also arrived, so I was able to catch up with them after not seeing them for quite some time.

I was also able to catch up with a second cousin and his wife who have returned to New Zealand from Argentina, where they have been teaching.

I cherish these moments with extended family.  Families are a treasure that should never be taken for granted – life is too short to do that.

Take time to make someone in your family circle feel special today 😊

Margaret.

 

13 comments:

  1. Really good point Margaret. Our extended family used to meet up a couple of times a year for a picnic, often at the Ashburton Domain. The last couple of generations are all over the world (me included), one in Canada, another Germany,a whole big chunk of family in Australia and those generations of cousins barely know each other. Xxx F

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds scary and it seems you take it the practical way, which is brave and good and right.
    Yes. I should "jump over my shadow" (is that a German saying? Means forget about my pride) and call my "little" Brother again. He indeed takes it all for granted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to catch up. I hope Cousin M recovers quickly. As a youngster I had a large extended family. My Father's side emigrated to Canada and Australia and the Scottish line died out. My Mother's brother had no children. I rather envy you knowing cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no cousins, aunts or uncles left. I do have distant cousins in Sweden, but none of us know any of them. So I keep in touch with my kids and grandkids, my brother and my sister as much as I can. We all live so far apart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, this age is not always fun - and yes, family is certainly to be cherished! And we appreciate that even more as we age!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your cousin M recovers quickly. I am glad you got some family visits in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Graham points out there are those of us who don't have extended families.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo reminds me of my mother and reunions with her cousins. They grew up together but married and moved apart. They had marvellous times when they got together.
    I'm really happy my kids grew up with their Greek cousins and have wonderful reunions when cousins from downunder visit.
    I barely knew my own cousins and only met them in later years when I returned for family funerals

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping up with extended family is hard for me since almost all of mine are 1500 miles away and I don't travel any more. It's my little sister's bd today. I called and chatted with her.
    Are any of those lovely ladies in that photo you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such good advice. Margaret. I hope all family members recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great old photo! So glad you had a good visit with your cousins:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh no I hope your cousin will be ok, pneumonia isn't nice at all

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx