RECIPES

Monday 6 September 2021

Rainbows on my Roof

 

I love rainbows.  Full ones, half ones, double ones.  Even the little mini ones that come off the crystals hanging in my window.

When I woke this morning, I could see the sun shining through the chinks in the curtain so I opened the curtains up to let the sunshine in, and my crystals sent gorgeous little rainbows skittering across the ceiling.

I jumped back into bed (it was cold!) and lay there admiring them.  What a great start to the day.




As children we were taught that ROYGBIV gave you all the colours of the rainbow.  I never could see any difference, when looking at a rainbow, between indigo and violet.  All the other colours are quite distinct in a clear rainbow, but to me the blue always seemed to go straight into violet.

And then, not so long ago, I was reading that there are actually only six colours in a rainbow – red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet.  The indigo was added to make seven colours, as men in the Victorian age were very much stuck on seven being a complete number in the Bible.  As the rainbow was created by God, it obviously had to be complete and therefore had to have seven colours.

I have no idea if this is actually correct or not, but it makes me feel better about never seeing indigo in a rainbow!

May all your thoughts be as cheerful as a rainbow 😊

Margaret.

 

15 comments:

  1. Margaret i love that explanationfor why I've never seen 7 either. I love rainbows too. NZ and Uk seem to be great places to see them. Greece not so much. Your crystsl rainbows are special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loves rainbow, it sens to be a bridge between earth and sky. I love all of it’s Colors and did not know about the seven Colors!
    I wish you a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that those Victorians added a colour, if it's true. Those in charge over the years have changed anything, especially history, as they deemed fit.
    Have not seen a rainbow in a long time. You need rain for that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting concept to add a colour to balance with God. We were taught 'Richard of York gained battle in vain'
    never forgot it and even taught it to my own daughters. Here our summer is having it's last blast, we are having a mini heatwave, enjoying out outside space before it all cools down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful 'crystal' rainbows Margaret - a wonderful start to your day. That was interesting about the indigo...
    Yay, level 2 tomorrow :)
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree about indigo. Who saw that? I don’t know if I ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful small rainbows to wake up to! Interesting about the indigo color, if it is correct or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always get such joy at seeing a rainbow...you and I must have kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anyone who doesn't love a rainbow? Six colours or seven!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely rainbows created by the crystals in your window. Years ago my SIL gave me a hanging thing that holds 2 cut glass globes. It makes rainbows when the sun shines through them.
    Are you having Spring weather yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like seeing them in the sky on a cloudy day after it's rained, I think they are so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw one tonight but just like that it was gone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. people do 7 colours for the chakras in our aura but I always thought that this was a New Age thingey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soo sad I cannot send you my pen.... (Corinna) - it gives rainbow-colors!
    Well, just a bit.
    To fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  15. -chuckle- Ahhhhh those very-very-very religious men. LOL

    Gorgeous display... Everyone needs crystals!

    New Header! Since I was blogging before. -smile-

    🍁 🍂 🍁

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx