RECIPES

Tuesday 29 September 2020

Whitebaiting

 

Whitebait season has begun!  It is the time of year for delicious whitebait fritters (basically fried fish and egg patties) – if you have access to this fishy delicacy!


Whitebait Fritter served with salad

New Zealand whitebait are the immature young of five different species of fish that make their way from the ocean and up the rivers in springtime.  They are caught with nets and popular fishing spots are often claimed by the same people each year.


Permanent whitebaiters' huts dotted along a riverbank in Southland

Patient whitebaiters can be found sitting alongside riverbanks or working the river mouths with their nets.

Catches are smaller than of old, and restrictions are now in place to regulate the health and abundance of the whitebait.


Netting whitebait at the mouth of the Kiritehere River


I was sent a gorgeous photo of a Royal Spoonbill feasting on whitebait on the edge of Waimakariri River in Canterbury, but unfortunately was denied permission to post it here.

This spoonbill photo was taken by Rebecca Bowater and sourced from www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz



Have an enjoyable week everyone 😊

Margaret.


17 comments:

  1. I have never heard of whitebait... hope I can remember to Google it in a little while. I would never have thought to try fish and eggs but would try it if there. That Royal Spoonbill is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Whitebait fish. Google tells me they are tiny fish one to two inches long and are eaten whole, head, guts and all. I was expecting them to be much bigger.
    The Spoonbill is an impressive looking bird!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just 'baby' fish and seldom over an inch long. And, yes, they are eaten whole! Some people object to the eyes looking at them LOL

      Delete
  3. We used to go whitebaiting when we were at highschool. On the Kaituna river I think or the Wairoa. Never caught much but it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the village when I was a child, the fish man would arrive on a Friday, mum cooked fish and chips for tea. On Saturdays she would cook kippers for brunch, but sometimes she would fry whitebait, which I loved, but then I love most fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love whitebait, but rarely have them, unfortunately. Love your photos Margaret, the windblown trees in Southland are stunning. It's been a long time since I have seen/been too Kiritihere - fishing off the bridge was a favourite summer day trip from where I grew up in Te Kuiti.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whitebait fritters. Those were the days. I don't think I've ever seen a live spoonbill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    Whitebaiting is new to me, the meal looks delicious. I love the Royal Spoonbill, beautiful bird and photo. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing to me that you are permitted to catch immatures - the very future of the fishery. They are not like commercially-raised young lambs that can be killed for human consumption and replaced at will. There are good and ethical reasons it seems to me not to eat lamb chops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever had a whitebait fritter but it sounds and looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandparents had a stand somewhere near Hokitika years ago. They made a lot of 'seasonal' friends there. Whitebait is particularly good in souffle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I bet that would be so yummy, I eat a lot of fish, mostly the frozen kind as I'm not anywhere near the sea and I dont think I would want to eat anything out of Lake ontario right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great tradition. It reminds me of the smelt fishing here in winter.

    That is an incredible looking bird. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard about whitebait fritters. Very interesting to see the photos. Always something new to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is many years since I have had a whitebait fritter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm sounds yummy. And such beautiful sights, too!
    That bird sure looks impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx