RECIPES

Sunday 20 September 2020

Clean Gumboots

 

I have worn rubber gumboots for farm work, wading through shallow flood waters, working in a muddy garden, and for washing cars, but nowadays I use them for hanging out the washing on the clothesline when the grass is wet!

Gumboots, sometimes known as Rain Boots or Wellies, should be a staple wardrobe item for anyone who ventures outdoors in wet and muddy conditions.

New Zealand’s leading brand of rubber gumboots are hand-made Skellerup Red Bands, and every year or so I give my ones a good clean.


Not too dirty, but caring for them gives them a longer life

I start by washing them in the laundry tub with lukewarm water and a little dishwashing detergent, making sure to never let any water enter the inside of the gumboot.  Usually a cloth is adequate for this, but sometimes a stiff brush is needed to clean the cleats of the sole.


Cleaning the Gumboots

The gumboots are then rubbed down with a dry cloth and left to air dry (rubber boots should never be exposed to artificial heat or prolonged direct sunlight, as it can cause them to perish).

As a child, our gumboots used to fill up with gunk which we cheerfully called Toe Jam!  Today, thankfully, I am no longer so messy and the inside lining of my boots remains clean and smellie-free.

Take the nice clean dry gumboots and polish with a little olive oil on a rag or kitchen paper towel.  Start at the top and work down, doing a small area at a time, and NEVER put any on the soles (unless you want to try skating in them!).


Feeling loved, and ready for another year

After a few minutes, I dry them off with a clean paper towel before storing them in their cupboard at the back door.

I always tuck them away in the car if I am going on a long trip anywhere.  One never knows when my tootsies may need some extra protection!

Have a great day 😊

Margaret.

21 comments:

  1. My trusty rubber boots are always with me in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worn many pairs of gumboots in my lifetime or as I still call them from my English upbringing "Wellies" but have never given any of them a clean and polish, except from washing off mud. Never thought of it. Reprehensible of me - I must do it to my current pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cowshed gumboots only got washed - twice a day with hot water and Iodophor (iodine sanitizer that we used to clean the machinery). Those were the days!

      Delete
  3. My wellies are in the garage, not worn for years, modern life does not require them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought this pair when we were still living in the country. They came in very handy at times.

      Delete
  4. I have a pair of Skellerup boots, but not red band - anything else is too narrow in the foot and splits after a year, two if I am lucky.
    The boots that lasted me the longest prior to my conversion were some I have bought for my children, and both grew 'through' them before I commandeered them, and they lasted for years, for all they were relatively cheap!
    I don't treat mine as well as you do, but they sit by the back door and are never in the sun unless they are on my feet.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will never buy another pair (it would be an unwarranted expense) so thought I may as well look after what I have. In earlier days I tried plastic gumboots but my feet hated them :)

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    The gumboots are great for the wet and muddy walks. I could use a pair just to keep in my car, for when I am out birding on a muddy trail. Take care, enjoy your day! Wishing you a great new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muddy gumboots would be easier to clean than muddy shoes, that is for sure :)

      Delete
  6. My husband has a pair, in the garage, right outside the entry-to-house door. We don't have a lot of muddy weather, but he uses them for more than just that. They are a staple, many places, I'd imagine.

    💛🍁💛🍁💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above, I used to use mine for all sorts of things but not so much these days.

      Delete
  7. I’ve had the same rubber boots for forty years or so. They last forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had this pair for over ten years - I wonder if I will be around in another thirty? :))

      Delete
  8. I have a pair, too, but there is never ever enough rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am inclined to stay indoors now when it is raining, but in the country you still had to feed animals whatever the weather.

      Delete
  9. When our rainy season returns I'll have to get my rubber boots cleaned up and ready to step into. I should have stored them upside down to keep out the spiders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I would have to use the vacuum cleaner to suck out the spiders - they are not my most favourite insect at all :))

      Delete
  10. Great tips for cleaning rain boots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why are they called gumboots? I've never really had any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Susie - I had to go searching and found this in the New Zealand Geographic:
      "GUMBOOTS ARE BOOTS made of rubber. All those cheap boots made from PVC and other plastics may look like gumboots, but they’re not—they’re just plastic boots impersonating the real thing. They’ll never (ever!) match the gumboot’s performance because they aren’t as durable, flexible or tough as rubber. So why not call gumboots rubber-boots, you ask? Well, the name started way back with the Egyptian word kemai, which begat kommi in Greek, which begat gummi in Latin, which begat gum in English, a precursor of rubber. So gumboots it is."
      You learn something new everyday! Mxx

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.