RECIPES

Wednesday 6 September 2023

Magpie Treasure


Along our fence we have hung several hanging baskets that we (or, rather, my son) has filled with annuals.  They look so pretty when in bloom and give us lots of joy.

They make Nature happy as well.  Some of the baskets have a coir lining and the birds love the free nesting materials on hand.

The sparrows usually make good use of the wiry strands, pulling out each one before flying off with it.  But yesterday and today I have witnessed a magpie doing the same.

Only it doesn’t take individual strands – it pulls out tufts and keeps pulling until it has a beak full of nesting treasure before flying off into the trees.

I managed to take this photo through the net curtains.  I’m sure if it had been aware of my presence, it would not have hung around.  They usually fly off the moment they see any movement in a window.




Have a happy day 😊

Margaret.

 

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic. I love their warbling sound. I hope in return for your contributions they don't terrorize you walking about their neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our magpies hop around the garden when we are outside, they don't mind us at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to watch the magpies at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have magpies in South Dakota, but ours have different coloring. https://www.sdakotabirds.com/species/black_billed_magpie_info.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bird is quite handsome, and I love that long tail!

      Delete
  5. Great capture of the magpie at work, Margaret. Hope you are feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Margaret! New to your blog so I thought I was say hello. Your photos are lovely and I will be back again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having seen up close a Magpie's messy nest that looked like it wasn't safe for the eggs in it I'm not surprised that the greedy bird took as much as it could carry away. I think your Magpies have more white than ours have ( although here in town we never see any).
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice of you to provide nesting materials! We see Magpies once in a while here usually along roadsides:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I just love Magpies - I hope some visit us on the Caravan Park!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's something I need to do at some point. I have so many aspirations for my garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx