RECIPES

Thursday 9 February 2023

Back In The Groove

 

When Son bought our home in 2019 it came with a dishwasher.  For eighteen years prior to then, I had “survived” without using one.

Back then there was only two people to do dishes for, and I would rope in visitors to help if they had made more! 

When I came to live with Son his daughter also lived here, so there were at least three to do dishes for (often more – teenagers always seem to have friends over) and the dishwasher was a real help.

When granddaughter moved in with her mother I still continued using the dishwasher – until it stopped working a short while ago!


We rented a skip to remove accumulated building rubbish


Now I am getting back in the groove of doing dishes by hand (I am chief cook and bottle washer around here, although Son always helps when needed), I am remembering all the good reasons for not using a dishwasher.

No more expensive dishwasher detergent to buy.  Dishes are always available for immediate use (and we don’t need to have as many).  The satisfaction that comes from washing and drying dishes and putting them away (no deferred “have to put the dishes away”).  The ability to add disinfectant to the water if anyone in the household is sick (although I doubt if any germs could survive that harsh detergent).  I don't have to remind others not to put my crystal bowls or special gold-rimmed cups in the dishwasher.  I get to listen to some favourite music while standing at the sink.

Don’t get me wrong.  I am not knocking using a dishwasher.  For a family or in a commercial situation, a dishwasher can be invaluable.  But for one or two people, doing dishes by hand can be quite satisfying.

How do you normally cope with your dishes?

Margaret 😊

 

18 comments:

  1. Well, my spouse is the dishwasher as I am the cook and we tend to eat meals that take a lot of prep and time. But, he feels like he has to get the dishes clean before putting them in the dishwasher which I think is nonsense but what am I gonna do? It usually takes at least two days of putting in dishes and glasses and cups and silverware before we run it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we do have a dishwasher, always helpful after holidays with all the pots/pans, etc. but I agree...it always seems we're short of forks which are hiding out dirty in the dishwasher. You're right: There is something restful about washing dishes while listening to music and looking out the window...a simple way to reduce stress. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a dishwasher now that's fairly new that we just put in, with 4 of us there are quite a few dishes now it's done alot more easily but I remember when I was growing up my sister and i having to do them by hand every night, it was quite alot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am married to our dishwasher. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a dishwasher though I always rinse the dishes since the dishwasher is on maybe twice a week. I wouldn’t miss it however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have a dishwasher any more and I don't really miss it. DH washes dishes and I dry them and put them away. Works fine for us. GM ( I wonder if I'm destined to be anonymous forever?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you aren't destined for that, Granny M - it must be so frustrating for you.

      Delete
  7. I don't have a dishwasher, and live alone. Dishwashing is not my favourite chore, but emptying a dishwasher... annoys me.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pet hate was going to put dirty dishes in the machine and discovering I hadn't emptied it of the clean ones!

      Delete
  8. We rely on our dishwasher to make sure things are really, really hygienic as DH's eyesight isn't the greatest, but we do enjoy those times on holidays when we don't have a dishwasher. It becomes a 'togetherness activity", but I wouldn't want to do it 365 days a year. With only two of us, unless the tribe descends, we only put it through perhaps 3 times a week, but with the grandchildren we are constantly running out of glasses and plates, and I'm very grateful for its Fast wash cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two dishwashers - at the end of my arms - they have not let me down yet. Although that said, currently I do very few dishes as the grandies do them! I don't mind hand washing dishes, but on my own, I only did them once a day unless I have guests.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are just two of us and I use the dishwasher as much as possible. I love that it uses really hot water and everything comes out squeaky clean
    For big family gatherings it's essential though I need a big professional one to clean fatty baking dishes . Oh that would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a dishwasher, but rarely use it. I am the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up with Dad washing, me drying and it was a great time to chat with Dad. Our kitchen was separate form the living room where everyone else went after the evening meal. Washing dishes has remained a reflective time for me and I enjoy that you can turn a mess into a clean tidy space and see results. (For my Mum it was ironing that was her enjoyable task.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We wash and dry just like you:) I did not want to give up the space in my kitchen and here at our daughters she has a texture phobia and anything that has been in a dishwasher bothers her....so they don't have one either:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a diswasher but I dont always use it. I think it makes the bills higher but its also saves time. I grew up washing and drying my hand.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/02/a-key-element-for-business-growth-and-development.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I / we never had a dishwasher. We don´t even have the space.
    Good idea with the music! Usually, though I quickly clean what was just used and boom - job done!
    But for weekends when things really go into cooking... music it will be (I have BOSE earphones, such fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got a dishwasher when our youngest son was born. It lasted for 23 years, when it broke down. We didn't buy a new one and I washed and my husband was drying.We didn't miss it. When we moved to our new apartment dishwasher was included, and I must admit it was easy to get used to use the dishwasher again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.