RECIPES

Friday 24 February 2023

Fruit From The Garden

 

Thankyou everyone for your kind comments on my last post.  I have now had a good rest and am feeling much more the thing!

Yesterday I even managed to do some gardening.  Son has been helping me get my small potted flower garden sorted out.  Too many overgrown plants, too many weeds, simply too overwhelming to even start tackling a clean-up job, so I’ve been very grateful to have his help.

Our weather has been settled the last few days but we had some rain come in late yesterday, and I only just remembered to gather some fruit before it arrived.

The grape, which was so severely knocked back in an unseasonally cold spring storm, came away again and is giving us a plentiful supply of grapes.  Nothing tastes quite like a sweet grape picked direct from the vine!

The blackberries are in full season, and we are getting a small bowlful from them every couple of days.  They are now quite sweet, unlike the early fruit which were so sour they left your mouth puckered up.

The strawberries, however, are at the very end of their season and the fruit is small and pickings are slim.  The bird netting has been removed from the beds so that the birds can enjoy some of this last harvest as well.




And now I had better leave my computer and go and do some dishes.  Son is wanting to bake a fruit cake later, and it is difficult to do any kind of cooking in a kitchen that contains a pile of dirty dishes!

Have an awesome day, wherever you are and whatever you are doing 😊

Margaret.

 

18 comments:

  1. Sorting out the overgrown plants in pots is a job I'll be doing in a month or so. I know I'' feel overwhelmed by the task and wish I hadn't filled as many pots as I did. Lovely fruit you've gotten from your garden. The grapes especially look wonderfully tasty. GM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will be able to find someone (or one of your wonderful sons!) to help you :)

      Delete
  2. Fruit cake sounds dangerous! Being on a strict diet and baking seem to be polar opposites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well I'm not on a STRICT diet, David! Because I am doing Lifestyle instead of Diet, I allow myself a little treat two or three times a week - otherwise that cake could very easily be dangerous! :)

      Delete
  3. You sound a lot better today! And I envy those wonderful fruit harvests. It's nice you thought of the birds, too, enjoying the last of the strawberries. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to leave something for the birds, and they usually return the favour by eating any bugs etc. that may be lurking among the leaves :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful harvest. The grapes I grow are tiny compared to yours, Margaret. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they still taste yummy, even if they are small :)

      Delete
  5. What lovely fruit. It always tastes better when picked from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fruits and vegetables from the garden are the best and yours look yummy. I have a tiny grape plant, grown from a seed this year. It's rare we get grapes with seeds nowadays. The grape plant is my 'garden baby'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your grape grows well for you. There is nothing more satisfying than eating fruit from a seed you have grown yourself :)

      Delete
  7. A lovely selection of fruit Margaret - I have been glad of DD's help in the veggie garden this summer - as the results are for all the family, there is a lot there! Our grape did not really recover from that frost - not helped by a soccer ball landing in the middle of the vine...
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor grape vine - hopefully it will recover well next year :)

      Delete
  8. Oh! This looks so yummy! And so nice of you to let the birds join.
    Ha. No one could do anything in our kitchen. I even have a pot of ravioli from Saturday on the balcony I need to get rid of the "contents" (no worries, it´s still cold here).
    I NEED to do the washing up.
    Hmmm, your fruit really looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think washing up is one household job that never ends! You get one lot out of the way, and the next is already growing :)

      Delete
  9. All the fruit sounds amazing. And to grow it yourself, doubly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'm glad you got to feeling better. The fruit from your garden is so pretty. I've never been able to grow pretty fruit but plan to plant a row of strawberries in the next few days, and keep my fingers crossed. It really is hard to start anything in the kitchen when there is a sink full of dirty dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx